7.31.2011

dimland radio 7-29-11 show notes

Tempting Fate

Don't make me scry!

Well, not really, but I did grab a hand held mirror and repeated "Bloody Mary," "Candyman," and even "Beetlejuice" (each repeated three times) to see if anything would happen. Nothing did.

A Dying Tooth

I know the feeling!

Then I described the pain one of my teeth is causing me. I went to the dentist and she told me then what is likely happening is that a nerve in my tooth is dying. I need to wait it out, I guess. I'll gulp down the ibuprofen and wait for it to kick the bucket.

A Trip To Brainerd For My Son's Birthday

The legendary Paul Bunyan in the flesh, or fiberglass.

Next I related the story of what my wife and I are doing for Hayden for his eighth birthday. We're taking him to Brainerd, MN to see Paul Bunyan. There's a large talking Paul Bunyan up there that my folks used to take me and my siblings to see a few times back in the day.

He's pretty cool. I describe the visits back in the day and the most recent visit in which I brought Amy to meet Paul in the summer of 2003. She had never been there before and she was pregnant with Hayden at the time.

You can learn more about Paul Bunyan Land near Brainerd,
MN here.

Memory Is Not Video Tape

Despite the claims of some hypnotherapists, memory is not video tape. Memories are very malleable. People are very capable how remembering themselves being involved in an event that they had no part of and I talked about a former coworker's misremembering something he that happened to him, but it happened to me.

"I Can't Exercise My Free Speech!" You Just Did.

The Clash using their right to free speech to say we don't have free speech.

I brought up the irony of those decrying their lack of freedom of speech while using their freedom of speech to make the complaint. I used the example of
The Clash's song "Know Your Rights" from their last real Clash recording, Combat Rock.

Movie Recommendation: The Shootist (1976)

John Wayne last film and it's a good one. He plays an aging gunslinger who lived his life by his own principles. Early in the film, he learns he has cancer and that he'll die a painful death, probably in bed. It's suggested that that's no way for a man like him to die. So, does he die in a sick bed or in a blaze of glory. It's John Wayne, what do think?

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Civic Hall' by The Vapors & 'Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)' by The The
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Can't Take It' by Cheap Trick & 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side' by The Smith
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment