11.17.2014

dimland radio 11-15-14 show notes

Shit Week Explained

My Facebook friends have been seeing me post vague comments about last week being shit week. On this show, I explained it was about the load of work needed to be done to get my in-laws' house ready for close. That's what made it shit week. There was a shit ton of work to do.

We got it done. We had help from my younger brother, Steve, that went a long way in getting finished. I'm not sure we would have, if not for his help. Thanks, Steve! 100 points!

And Amy worked herself to exhaustion. Physically and emotionally. 100 points!
 
Never Found In The 80s: Rockpile

My most recent Never Found artist for my guest blog column on the Stuck in the 80s blog is Rockpile. Rockpile featured two fairly well known musicians: Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe, however they never had a song crack the Top 40. Their history is a bit complicated.
 
I Am 50!

Remember how it was a big deal when Mick Jagger turned 40 in 1983? Pete Townshend even wrote an article for Rollling Stone magazine about it.

Remember how old Wilford Brimley looked in the movie 'Cocoon'?

Well, Jagger being 40 and Brimley looking old is nothing. I just turned 50!

I didn't mention the Jagger thing, but I did talk about Brimley looking so old in that movie. Why he must have been ancient when it was made. Nope! He was, you guessed it, 50.
 
This is 50...and so is this.
I speculated as to why, in my mind, I don't "feel" 50. In that same mind, I "feel" as though I'm in my 20s, but a look in the mirror and my aching knees, feet, back, and other parts remind me that I ain't in my 20s.
 
Double Blinding Police Detectives

I saw a news story the other day about a woman who had wrongfully accused a man of raping her in 1984. Jennifer Thompson thought she had remembered her attacker's face and she thought she had been a good witness when she identified Ronald Cotton as that attacker. However, people are very bad eyewitnesses. They can be influenced, intentionally or not, by investigators, prosecutors, the news media, and others.
 
Thompson was shown a photo array and a live line-up of suspects and she picked out Cotton both times. But the line-ups were not blinded to the detectives and they may have influenced her identification.
 
After years in prison, DNA evidence found that Ronald Cotton was innocent. He was set free and he and Thompson have become good friends. They are taking their story to the public to, in part, inform people of the unreliability of eyewitness testimony and that it is important to double-blind police suspect line-ups.
 
20 Dick Moves At The Grocery Store

I spotted this list on the internets and I thought it would be interesting to talk about. The list doesn't include my biggest complaint about grocery shopping: people pushing their carts down the wrong side of the aisle. I hate that!
 
Brushing Teeth BEFORE Breakfast
I was flipping channels the other day, when I stumbled upon this bit of the show Cougar Town. It's a song about the morning routine of the character played by the Botoxed Courteney Cox. The song states that she gets up and brushes her teeth. She does a couple other things and then she eats breakfast. She brushes her teeth BEFORE eating breakfast? Really? How's that orange juice tasting, Courteney?

Movie Recommendation: None This Week

I didn't have time to recommend a movie, so you are on your own this week.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Show Me' by The Pretenders & 'Seen and Not Seen' by Talking Heads
Second ad break bumpers: 'Sleepless' by King Crimson & 'She's Tight' by Cheap Trick
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment