4.14.2018

dimand radio 4-14-18 show notes



Mom: No Update This Week

Mom is OK.
 
I guess that is an update. Oh, well.

I Made It Through That Top Ten List

After a little talk about a show that used to be on Z Talk Radio (it still cycles through the autoplay when no scheduled show is on), whose host believed he could talk to angels, I revisited the topic of my rant at the end of last week's show: WatchMojo's Top Ten list of the Most Electrifying Live Bands of All Time.

You will recall my two complaints about that list were the placement of my favorite band, The Who, at #10 and the voice-over child not knowing how to pronounce Pete Townshend's name.

Well, during the past week I mustered the courage and watched the entire video. On this week's show, I talk about that list and I try to look at it from the perspective of someone who isn't as big a Who fan as I am. (Apparently, there are people out there who don't even like the greatest band in the world. Go figure.)

These kinds of lists are subjective and I try to keep that in mind. But The Who at #10?!
 
Here's the video.

Tool Time Talk

No, I don't talk about Tim Allen and his manly man, tool-obsessed sit-com. This talk was about a band I know very little about. The band is Tool. They are a highly respected and acclaimed prog-metal or alt-metal band from California.

As I said, I know very little of them, but recently friend of the show Craig introduced to a couple of their songs. Metal was never a favorite musical form for me, but there are some songs I like. And I was impressed with the musicianship displayed in those two songs and the vocals did not put me off as is what usually happens when I listen to metal, especially 80s Hair Metal.
 
The two songs are Crawl Away and Forty Six & 2.
 
And Then There Are These Music Students
 
Craig also linked me to a video of some music students of Maineville Music Academy doing a cover of Forty Six & 2. The kids range in age (I'm guessing here) 9 to 18 or so. And they are pretty damn good.
 
You Take That Back, Travis!
 
Next I talked about a conversation I had with another friend of the show, Travis, about my learning about Tool. I think Tool is to Travis as The Who is to me. We also talked about the cover by those school kids.
 
Travis mentioned how there were nine of those kids (eight on instruments, one doing vocals) to do that song, while, when playing live, Tool consists of three on instruments and one on vocals and they pull it off.
 
Hmm. Three on instruments and one vocalist. WHO does that sound like, eh? Of course.
 
I know. I'm sick. I can't help bringing them up (Although I will try.) So, I brought The Who into the conservation. It was then that Travis suggested Townshend wasn't much of a musician.
 
...
 
Travis is still alive. When you listen to the show you'll learn how he managed to survive.
 
They Aren't All Playing All That Music?
 
I learned this from a recent Penn's Sunday School podcast. It's an industry secret that some of the major touring rock bands will hide additional musicians to fill in the sound, cover the mistakes, hit the high notes, etc. I guess I can understand when a band wants to reproduce the sound of their records, but they don't want to appear mortal not being able to do it all.
 
U2 is one a band that employs a keyboardist who is hidden away from the crowd, but they do introduce him to the audience. Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones aren't as open about it. At least, according to Penn Jillette and pianist Mike Jones.
 
You know, when The Who tours now and since the late 80s they have their additional musicians right on stage with them.
 
The Who are so great. They just... Sorry, I'll stop talking about them for a while, OK?
 
Three Cool Things
 
3) Well, it appears I can't stop talking about them for long, because there's this very cool video on YouTube that isolates Keith Moon's drum track on the song Won't Get Fooled Again.
 
2) There a very entertaining podcast that humorously focuses on American history. It's called The Dollop and there's a YouTube video of a live performance done on baseball's maverick owner Bill Veeck. The talk includes the infamous Death To Disco event held during a doubleheader at Comiskey Park.
 
1) As is most always the case on the second Thursday of the month, I met up with the Minnesota Skeptics and got all good and skeptical with them. Always a cool time.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Take It Away' by Paul McCartney & 'Walking & Falling' by Laurie Anderson
Second ad break bumpers: 'Infected' by The The & 'No Reply At All' by Genesis
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment