7.13.2008

concert memoirs pt. 23 - buzzcocks, the the, killing joke & buzzcocks

The Buzzcocks w/Jazz Butcher
11/20/89 First Avenue w/John & David Ticket Price: Unknown

Here we go! We really were anticipating this show. The Buzzcocks was one of our favorite bands. I’m not sure about my friend David, but John and I had never seen them before. David is a few years older than John and I, and had gone to lots of concerts. He might have seen them before.

Anyway, the closest John and I had previously gotten to see The Buzzcocks was the fantastic Pete Shelley solo show (First Avenue 8/20/86). That show had impressed the hell out of us, but now we were going to see them all! We were ready!

They kicked off with ‘I Don’t Know What To Do With My Life’ and we went crazy. Slamming, pogoing, skanking! What great fun it was. And we kept going right through the chanting chorus of ‘I Believe’. “There. Is. No. Love. In. This. World. An-Nee-Mooooooore!”

We were spent. And we loved it.

The The
2/21/90 First Avenue w/John Ticket Price: Unknown

Well, look here, it’s another all-ages show.

For reasons unknown to me this show had been rescheduled from 11/6/89, but what does it matter?

This was another of my favorite bands from the 80’s. I just love the album Soul Mining! This show was in promotion of their lastest album, Mind Bomb. A very good record in its own right.

I know it’s hard to call The The a band, when much of their material is Matt Johnson’s. Working mostly solo in the studio, then getting a touring band together. At least, that's what I understand to be true.

I don’t have a lot to relate about this show. I enjoyed it and I’m fairly certain that The Smith’s legendary guitarist, Johnny Marr, was in the band at the time.

Killing Joke
3/1/91 First Avenue w/John Ticket Price: Comp. Tickets

I don’t have much here. But have you noticed that I had only one show listing for all of 1990 (The The, First Avenue, 2/21/90)? Well, I had really been dropping off the concert going thing since about 1987 or so. Both John and I had begun to lose interest in the whole process.

So, anyway, that’s it.

The Buzzcocks
11/18/91 First Avenue w/John, David & Diane Ticket Price: $11.00

Another great show by a favorite band. As I recall they set off again with ‘I Don’t Know What To Do With my Life’ and ended the main set with ‘I Believe’. And they rocked us with another outstanding punk rock show in between.

I think it was at this show that David’s girlfriend, Diane, attended along with us. And it was also the show at which I was feeling ill. I’m not sure what was going on, but I felt pretty lousy. Still, I pushed myself in the slam dance pit. I wasn’t about to let the band down.

So it was more slam dancing, sweating, pogoing, exhaustion, with a little illness thrown in for good measure. Lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment