8.24.2009

horror inc.

This was a very local phenomenon.

I got to thinking about the old horror movie showcase programs that local TV stations used to put on. Do you remember them? They would usually be hosted by someone dressed as Dracula or a mad scientist. They would introduce some old horror film, most the time something from the 40s or 50s and not very scary. The shows would usually be on at midnight on Friday or Saturday.

They've pretty much all disappeared. I think Elvira was among the last of them. I also think Mystery Science Theater 3000 put the final nail in the coffin.

It's too bad. I'd love it if some local station would give us back one of those horror showcases, instead of the never ending feed of insipid infomercials.

So, I got to reminiscing about the Twin Cities own horror showcase. It ran in the 70s at midnight on Friday. Maybe it was Saturday. Maybe both. It was a long time ago and I was awfully young. It was called Horror Incorporated. I don't remember there being a host to the show. There may have been a host, but I just remember its creepy opening and closing.

My reminiscing led me to Google. I was able to find both the opening and closing on YouTube. With the help of my wife, I've embedded the clips here. I needed her help, because I'm fairly lost at this kind of thing.

The clips are very simple. Just a coffin with a vampire coming out at the opening (getting back in at the closing), some fog, some eerie lighting, some screams and maniacal laughter, and that great voice over. It's very well done and to a kid of 8 or 9, as I was then, very scary. In fact, the opening was often times more scary then the featured movie.

I miss that show. I wish it would return...

From the grave!


No comments:

Post a Comment