10.10.2010

dimland radio 10-9-10 show notes

Halloween Awareness Month at Dimland Radio continues despite my having a heavy heart due to...

Yankees win. Again!


I don't believe in curses. Not at all. Still witnessing the total postseason ownership of the MN Twins that the NY Yankees enjoy is just depressing. Yep, the Bronx bombers swept my Twins out of the playoffs again.

A walk with my son

Last Sunday, my son, Hayden, and I went for a walk. It was a pleasant walk, but it would have been more pleasant had it not been for the discovery of some graffiti and a little something else. You can read my blog giving more details on this page. Just scroll down to 'Innocence dented (or a nice walk spoiled)'.


Chris Brown's Meet the Skeptics podcast featuring ME!

For the third week running I mentioned Chris Brown's podcast 'Meet the Skeptics'. Why? Well, because I am Chris's latest guest!

You can subscribe to 'Meet the Skeptics' through iTunes or listen to it here.

Ten Minute Topic with Chris Brown

Popoff pretending to heal the gullible back in the day.

Popoff today offering to heal the gullible of their much-needed money.

Speaking of Chris Brown, he and I have another skeptical conversation in our ongoing series of Ten Minute Topic. This week we talked about faithhealers. Centering mostly on the shennanigans of one Pastor Peter Popoff. We talked about how this could be one case in which people of faith and skeptics should be able to get together and voice our displeasure with likely frauds such as Popoff.

Vlad the Impaler

This is Halloween Awareness Month after all, so I thought I'd talk a little bit about 15th century Eastern European leader, Prince Vlad Draculya. Certainly the inspiration of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula', Vlad has quite the reputation as being especially cruel what with all that impaling and such.

"Such a lovely morning for breakfast outdoors."

However, it is likely that the stories of his barbarity are exaggerated. Much of the tales of his impaling adventures originate from the German people he ruled who didn't like him.

You can learn more about Vlad here and watch a two versions of 'In Search of Dracula' on YouTube - here and here.


Nosferatu

Max Shreck as Count Orlok - How creepy!

In doing my research on Vlad the Impaler, I watched an episode of 'In Search of...' focusing on his legend. The show made use of several clips of the silent horror film classic 'Nosferatu'. So I took the opportunity to talk a bit about the film and the extremely creepy Max Shreck, who played the title role. Oh, man, he looked so cool as the vampire, Count Orlok.

I also mentioned the much more recent film 'Shadow of the Vampire' from 2000. It's an interesting take on the making of 'Nosferatu'. The twist was that Max Shreck really was a vampire.

You can get the original 'Nosferatu' and the 1979 version titled 'Nosferatu the Vampyre' on the Netflix. Both are well worth watching. And 'Shadow of the Vampire' is pretty good, too.

Dimland Radio Music Show Hour Radio Thing

I announced that I will being doing a monthly all music version of Dimland Radio! The first edition will be Saturday 10-16 at 11pm Central, midnight Eastern on ztalkradio.com. The catch is I can't archive the show, so if you ain't there as it happens, you won't ever hear it. Z Talk's license doesn't allow us to podcast a music show. I will be listing the songs played in the show notes, so you can see what you missed and maybe decide to catch it the next month.


Movie recommendation

I suggested that listeners watch the 1932 Universal horror classic, 'The Mummy' starring Boris Karloff. Karloff looks so crispy in the film you'd swear he could turn to dust at any moment. It is much different (and I think better) than the special effects ridden adventure versions of more recent years.

Put in your Netflix queue now.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Rattle My Bones' The Suburbs & 'Scarecrow People' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Back In Flesh' Wall of Voodoo & 'Honeymoon Croon' by Bauhaus
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment