3.13.2011

dimland radio 3-12-11 show notes

A Bumpy Start

Some changes were made to the server and word was gotten to me at the last moment. I made several attempts to get on air, but wasn't having any luck. With the assistance of one of Z Talk's managers and my wonderful wife, I finally got the show going. 20 minutes late, but going nonetheless.

One Year Of Dimland Radio

Yep, I've been doing this show for a year now. 49 episodes in all. I almost have the hang of this.

Buying A Car

That's the one. And a little ad for the dealership.

Earlier the day of this show, my wife and I went out to buy a car. One of our cars died a couple months ago and the other is on its last legs. (Can a car be on its last legs?) This whole process makes me nervous. We picked the car, put down the deposit,
but now we need to secure the financing. So, I'm going to remain nervous.

Tune in next week, I'll let you know if we have our new, used car.

David Letterman

Dave back in the day.

I spent some time reminiscing about the excellent wackiness of 'Late Night with David Letterman'. Back then, Dave was a huge favorite of mine. He had quite the influence on my humor.


I also talked about his recent turn toward being more political on his show. He's a bit of a leftie and tends to fawn over others on the left while bulldogging those of his guests who might be more to the right. I admit this bugs me a little.

I gave some observations on Dave's recent interview with Senator Rand Paul. I thought when I first watched the exchange that Dave had claimed to be middle class. However, upon reading a transcript of the interview (available here on an admittedly Conservative website) I'm not so sure that's what Dave was doing.

Whatever. How about you check out these classic clips from Dave's glory days, here, here and here? And there are plenty more clips to find on YouTube.

Trimming The Male Eyebrows?

What's wrong with this picture?

I'm not for it. Oh, it's ok for a man to trim them when those brows get too bushy, but the shaping and the teasing that some are doing? I say thee nay! Click
here for more.

Portrait Of Randi

I made this!

Then I talked a little bit about my just completed portrait of the amazing James Randi. Looks like him, doesn't it?

Logical Fallacies: Ad hominem

Inspired by the skeptical podcasts, Skeptoid and Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, I'm doing a series defining logical fallacies. This week's logical fallacy is "ad hominem". I'm continuing to use those two sites so that we might learn how to recognise those mistakes made by all of us.

You can learn more from Skeptoid and the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe.

Do Something For Japan

Praying won't stop this.

I mean actually do something for Japan. I'm sure there are many folks praying from the victims, but how about doing something that will actually do some tangible good? iTunes has sent up a portal through which you can donate some money. Click here for more info.

Movie Recommendation: Not This Week

Sorry, I didn't recommend a movie this week. You'll just have to find one on your own.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Close (To The Edit)' by Art Of Noise & 'I Wanna Be A Flintstone' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Second ad break bumpers: 'Straight To Hell' by The Clash & 'Telegram Sam' by Bauhaus
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! see you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment