4.17.2011

dimland radio 4-16-11 show notes


I've Been Accused Of Thinking I'm Smart

This is a book.

Well, that's what a former employee of the company I work for thought. He didn't care for me because he got the impression that because I read books I think I'm smarter than everyone else. I do read books, but there are quite a few people smarter than me am. I ain't no genius.

Skeptical News Items

No night vision here.

The first item was about Penn & Teller's upcoming series for the Discovery Channel.

In the dark in more ways than one.

The second item came from the satirical paper, The Onion, that made a good point about the Ghost Hunters program.

Comparing Apples And Oranges

Comparing these items

Starting with a brief mention about the "birther" conspiracy movement, I then took on the idiom of comparing apples and oranges. Turns out they are very similar. Perhaps it's time to retire the phrase.

Learn more here.

Logical Fallacies: Special Pleading

Inspired by the skeptical podcasts, Skeptoid and Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, I'm doing a series defining logical fallacies. This week's logical fallacy is "special pleading". I'm continuing to use those two sites so that we might learn how to recognize those mistakes made by all of us.

You can learn more from Skeptoid and the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe.

Top Ten Conspiracy Theories

This one gets it right, even if I didn't draw it.

I did a quick run through of Benjamin Radford's list which appears here. Then I segued into Jesse Ventura's comment on finding the actual events of 9/11 less believable than the "truthers'" ideas of what happened that horrible day
. But what the "truthers" believe needs a good going over by Occam's Razor.

You can read more here.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Electric Lash' by The Church & 'Music For Boys' by The Suburbs
Second ad break bumpers: 'Walking On Your Hands' by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry & 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' by U2
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment