7.29.2012

dimland radio 7-28-12 show notes





So Painful

Not having been able to get myself to listen to the epic Gish Galloping I received from fellow Z Talker, Kale Kelly, guess what show was playing when I got to the chat room.  Yep, a replay of Kale overwhelming me with his "documented facts."  Oh, brother it was painful.  Trust me, Kale is wrong.  The consensus of virtually all archeologists and Egyptologists is that the pyramids were built by the Egyptians without the assistance of ancient aliens or Atlanteans or Bigfoot or whomever.
 
Here is more information on Gish Galloping and here is a great source on the building of the Egyptian pyramids.
 
Programming Notes
 
I went over some programming notes on what my plans are for the month of August.  During August, I will be playing music!  Yay!  Both on Friday nights in the on hiatus Paradigm Shift time slot and on Saturday nights after my regular show.  However, I will not be doing either music shows or my regular show August 3rd and 4th.  My wife and I will be taking our son camping.
 
It is possible for me to pick an older Dimland Radio episode or prerecord a new show to be played in my absence.  We'll see what I do.

A Night Of Unbelievable Fun

That's what the St. Paul Saints are calling August 10, 2012.  The minor league baseball team in St Paul, MN will be having a night honoring atheism and skepticism.  Now that's cool!  And a bit of progress.

Read more about it here.


A Memory Of The Saints' Opening Night

Don Vogel was a local talk radio legend (folks in the Chicago area might also remember him) here in the Twin Cities.  He was funny, he did many different voices including an excellent Howard Cosell, he wasn't political, and he was blind.  He was picked by the St. Paul Saints to throw out the first pitch of their inaugural game.

I miss Don Vogel.
 
1987 & 1991

Netflix is awesome!  They have a DVD reviewing the two most bestest events in Minnesota sports history: the Minnesota Twins' two World Series Championships.  I talked a bit about what those times were like and how Jack Morris' pitching performance in Game 7 in '91 was more impressive than Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 Word Series.

Ok, I'm a homer, what are ya gonna do?
 
Newest Conspiracy Theory

It certainly comes as no surprise that the conspiratorially minded have found a vast conspiracy behind the madness of the shooting in Aurora, CO.  Sigh.

I discussed a few alternate conspiracy theories relating to the insane event.  Some were silly, but you can't prove them wrong!  So they must hold water, right?  Then I got serious and voiced my incredulity of conspiracy theorists being able to live their lives and have children "knowing" the so-called truth.
 
Good News!

Science and reason triumphs in Texas, of all places.  The textbook supplements for biology classes in Texas schools will be scientifically accurate to the current knowledge of evolution.  The creationist backed, unscientific fairy tale material will not be included.  Way to go Texas!

Read the good news here.
 

Movie Recommendation: Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father (2008)
 
MSNBC Films
This documentary will disturb you, anger you, frustrate you, and stay with you for a long, long time.  Started as a film letter to the infant son of a murdered man, but it becomes so much more.  To tell you more would give too much away.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Rocket From A Bottle' by XTC & 'You've Got Everything Now' by The Smiths
Second ad break bumpers: 'Games Without Frontiers' by Peter Gabriel & 'Ahead' by Wire
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment