10.14.2012

dimland radio 10-13-12 show notes



Old Man Fitzsimons Sounds Off

I guess I showed my age when I started off the show complaining about how crappy today's music is.  I mean, everything in my day was great.  Well, it wasn't really, but it wasn't all auto tuned the way stuff is today.  And don't go saying the technology wasn't available then, I know that!  You kids just don't know what real music is!  Why in my day... Come to think of it there was a lot of crap then, too.

I also talked about the change in the music industry.  About how in the past singles were king, then in about 1968 album sales took the lead.  Today we're back to singles generating the sales, because it's more about the downloads than about the art of an album's worth of music.

I also mentioned a website on which you can check out the hits by each week through the decades.

And somewhere in this beginning segment I talked about that Funny American Video show and Bob Saget.  Saget on that show wasn't painfully unfunny, but elsewhere he is painfully hilarious.  If you only know him from the video show and that sit-com about houses, here's a very revealing clip from The Aristocrats.  This is how funny he can be and sick, too.  NSFW! 

Pete Townshend

Just days ago I received Pete Townshend's no anticipated autobiography, 'Who I Am.'  I took that opportunity to talk about my love of him and The Who and about how I became an huge fan.  I also talked about his song 'Slit Skirts' and how I needed to get older to really appreciate where he was coming from when he wrote it.  That's one of the awesome things about his music, it will wait for you to catch up.

I also threw in the story behind this iconic (iconic) moment from the Smothers Brothers' show.

Mirror, Mirror

A couple of my Hmong neighbors have mirrors facing out of their window and outside next to their front door.  I wondered why, so I asked a co-worker who happens to also be Hmong and he explained it was something they did to ward off evil spirits.
 
I tried to find more information online about this when I stumbled upon this site.  It's all about the far from science (and reality) practice know as Feng Shui.  The claim is that putting a mirror facing out the window can deflect "sucky" neighbors.  Oh, really?
 
Scroll down to the comments and you'll see a brief pearl of clarity from a certain Dr. Dim.  Good name.

Penn & Teller did a pretty good expose of the nonsense that is Feng Shui.  You can catch that full episode here.


Movie Recommendations: Alien (1979)
 
 
In space, no one can hear you realize how good this movie is.  The tension built by filmmaker, Ridley Scott, is masterful.  The film confirms that less is more when it comes to building suspense.  When the alien is hidden, lurking, barely seen you just get so worked up with anticipation.  It's great! 

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Face Dances Part Two' & 'Rough Boys' by Pete Townshend
Second ad break bumpers: 'Brilliant Blues' & 'Let Me Love Open The Door' by Pete Townshend
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment