12.16.2012

dimland radio 12-15-12 show notes


Monsters Do Exist

The monstrous act of the mass killing of innocents in Newtown, CT has had everyone confused, angry, and heart-broken.  I did my best to express my thoughts on the events, but I can't say I have any answers.  I wish I did, but I don't think anyone does.

We'll be hearing about this on the news for the next several days, I'm sure; so, here is something that will remind us that humanity isn't lost.  Not yet.


Pedantic Moment

I called myself on this one.  Last week I went on about a Chevrolet ad on the TV.  The ad has a fellow telling the Santa-like salesman the he hunts deer...fish.  That's funny, but the ad has been changed the include the hunter saying he meant fish and that he didn't know why he said deer.  I found that to be clunky and it ruined the joke.

But I didn't get the line quite right so I intended to get all pedantic on my butt.

However!  I searched for the ad online to get the lines right and I found this. It's an extended version.  Really extended.  And it's very funny watching the "fish hunter" trying to dig himself out of the hole he put himself into.  The explanation that felt tacked on in the ad that I thought had been ruined works well in the extended ad.


The "Best" Bigfoot Trackers At It Again

Remember August, 2008?  Well, there's one event from that year that I remember.  A couple of bigfoot trackers (the best! sure they are) claimed to have a body of a dead bigfoot.  Unsurprisingly, the bigfoot body turned out to be a sasquatch costume.  According to one of the trackers (Rick Dyer), it was all a joke to lighten the mood of the country.

I wrote about this embarrassing event back then.

Well, those self-proclaimed best bigfoot trackers are claiming the possession of another dead bigfoot.  Really?  Excuse my yawn.


Bigfoottracker.com is a joke.  Their website is an amateurish mess.  And Rick Dyer and his new partner, DJ, are pathetic.  Watch their video on their home page, if you can stomach it.  It's mostly Rick and DJ talking smack about other bigfoot hunters and what great trackers they are in comparison.  There is a clip of an alleged bigfoot in their bragging/paranoid promotional video.  It's intriguing, but still not very good evidence.

They claim that in 2013 they will reveal explosive evidence about bigfoot.  I predicted that by 12/31/13 bigfoot will be just as unverified as he is today.

Let's see which of us is the better prognosticator.

Movie Recommendation: Quick Change (1990)
  Warner Brothers

This understated comedy is not the first one the comes to mind when someone mentions Bill Murray.  But it should.  I think it is as good as or better than his more broad comedies such as 'Stripes' and 'What About Bob?'  It starts out a caper film, but continues as the story of three bank robbers trying to deal with their greatest obstacle: New York City.  Costarring Geena Davis, Randy Quaid, and Jason Robards, it is well worth a look.


Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Freewill' by Rush & 'Apeman Hop' by Ramones
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Mercy Beat' by The The & 'Running Free' by Buzzcocks
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment