1.20.2013

dimland radio 1-19-13 show notes


A Little Talk About The Weather

It's gonna be cold around here for the next few days.  We're told the high temperature for Monday won't even break zero degrees!  Yep, it's gong to be less than no degrees!

Situational Awareness

It was from the Adam Carolla Podcast that I first heard the phrase "situational awareness."  It means to have a good sense of situational awareness a person doesn't think they are the only person on the planet,  They are aware that someone might be waiting for their parking space, so they don't dawdle.

Well, I brought up a situation in which more people ought to be aware of what they are doing.  I see it every time I go grocery shopping.  Some people just don't get that when you push your cart along the aisle, you stay to the right!  Always think to yourself, "Which side of the road do I drive on?"

When you come up with the answer, you'll know which side of the aisle to push your cart.


Science Hero

I did a profile of an official Dimland Radio Science Hero. His name is Zach Kopplin and he's a young man who is taking on the Louisiana state legislature and their anti-science law that allows teachers to teach creationism (religion) in science class.

Zach realized, at age 14, that no one was taking on the 2008 law.  So, he did.

Science Zero

Well, well, well, it turns out the Megan Fox believes in silly things.  You know, the usual stuff.  Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, Leprechauns.  Leprechauns?  Really?

Oh, well.  What are ya gonna do?  You could read more here.


So Sad
 
Such cool setting for an art school!

"Well, I did not think the girl could be so cruel and I'm never going back to my old school."

Ok, I might try, but after June 30, 2013 I won't be able to.  You see, that is the day my old art school, College of Visual Arts, will close its doors.

The school opened in 1924.  I attended from 1983 through 1986.  And it was a great time and a terrific school.  Unfortunately, the recession, a lack of an endowment, and a tuition of over $25,000 (what the hell?!) a year has caused the school to lose enrollment numbers.  So much so that it can more longer afford to stay open.

I talked about a few good memories.  I sure hope someone organizes a reunion of sorts.

Movie Recommendation: The African Queen (1951)

Horizon Pictures/Romulus Films Ltd.

A classic!  Directed by John Huston and starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn, it's an adventure story of two polar opposites thrown together in a boat on a river in the African wilderness.  Very entertaining.  And you get to see Bogey do a monkey impression.  That must have been the scene in which he earned his Oscar.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Peek-A-Boo' by Siouxsie & The Banshees & 'Show Me' by The Pretenders
Second ad break bumpers: 'Coming Up' by Paul McCartney & 'Cig In Backwards' by The Suburbs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment