1.27.2013

dimland radio 1-26-13 show notes


An Apology

It may be a repeat of the tech issues I had when I attempted to air my 100th episode way back on February 25, 2012.  The server that Z Talk Radio uses to broadcast our show through out the internets kept kicking my show off the air.  Well, that same sort of thing was happening last night, so the folks in chat couldn't enjoy the show.

I hope that it was server issues and that next week there will not be a repeat of showus interruptus.

Pedantic Moment #1

I thought it would be fun to do an entire show of pedantic moments.  I'm sure there are those who would say my show is always a show of pedantic moments.  But still.

The first moment covered TV news readers having the tendency to say "we're" instead of "we'll."  As in when they send the newscast to break.  They say, "We're back after these messages."

No!  We'll be back!  Future tense, not present tense.  You say "we're back" when you come back for the break.


Pedantic Moment #2

Next was a series of complaints about things people do when applying for a job.  Needing to make me wait on the phone while they get a pen and paper, their cell phones ringing while filling out the application and sitting for the interview, and one young woman not letting me take her picture for her ID badge (I like to get pictures and lots of paperwork filled out right away, so I don't need to set up another meeting.) because she didn't think she looked pretty enough.  It's a janitorial job, not a modelling gig.

Pedantic Moment #3

Stamps, I went on about stamps.  First, to admonish folks against complaining about the cost of a first class stamp.  Come on!  46 cents?!  It's a bargain at twice the price.
Then I pointed out that the USPS introduced the Forever stamp in 2007 and people no longer need to head to the post office to pick up those lower rate postage stamps to make up the difference.  Forever stamps are good no matter how much the USPS raises the rate of the first class stamp.  They are good forever!

So why bring that up?  Well, several of the podcasts I listen to do ads for Stamps.com.  And in those ads they say using Stamps.com means you don't have wait in line at the post office to buy the lower rate postage to make up the difference.  But people already don't have to do that!  You know, because the stamps people use now (and since 2007) are Forever stamps.  They are good...FOREVER.


Pedantic Moment #4

Then I addressed the Beyonce lip-syncing the National Anthem controversy.  I really should have predicted on last week's show that she would do that, because ever since she lip-synced on the Oscars in 2009, I've been suspicious that she ever sings live.  I think she wants her performances to never show any flaw and she can't be sure of that if she hasn't pre-recorded her songs.
 
Pedantic Moment #5

This last pedantic moment was to point out that not all of the proceeding pedantic moments were really examples of pedantry.  You know, sort of a meta pedantic moment. 
 
Assault Of The Two-Headed Spacemules Appearance

I was the guest on fellow Stuck In The 80s fan, Douglas Arthur's show.  It's a conversational style podcast in which Doug and a guest or two will chat about a given topic and let the conversation go where it will.  Our topic was the mystery mongering (or investigating, depending on your point of view) TV series 'In Search Of...'  I enjoyed the talk immensely.
 
Not everyone did, however.  In the previous post on this site you will see the review of the show by a semi-regular listener of Dimland Radio.  Normally, this listener is a bit of a provocateur.  He likes to challenge me and some of the folks in chat.  That never bothered me.  I should be challenged.
 
The thing is, he completely missed the point of Doug's show.  He expected a more informative and confrontational interview show.  That's not what Doug does.

Well, Doug just posted an outtakes show featuring the overflow of our conversation.  Parts where we just got too off topic to include in the regular show, but interesting enough to do an outtakes podcast.  Well, maybe not interesting to our reviewer.

He posted a "review" of the outtakes that was intended to get us angry.  That's what a troll does.  Nothing constructive.  Just insults.  I'll do another post to include his latest pearls, so you can be the judge.

If you would like to be the judge of the shows, you can listen to the 'In Search Of' show here and the outtakes show here.

Boy, this blog is really getting long.  Better wrap it up.
 

Movie Recommendation: The Caine Mutiny (1954)
Columbia Pictures

Another classic!  Another film starring Humphrey Bogart.  This movie depicts a naval captain who has seen enough action and has lost his touch.  He seems good Navy at first, but his erratic behavior leads to a reluctant mutiny.  The four principles actors (see the poster above) are very good.  The one drawback of the film is the ridiculous love story between a young ensign and a singer who doesn't think his upper class mother will except her.  It feels forced on us.  Use those moments for a bathroom break or to get a snack or to practice your fast-forwarding skills.  The rest is very good.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Love Is A Stranger' by Eurythmics & 'Cry If You Want' by The Who
Second ad break bumpers: 'She Belongs To Me' by Ramones & 'Cig In Backwards' by The Suburbs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment