5.19.2013

dimland radio 5-18-13 show notes


Talking About The Weather Again
 
Yes, more weather talk.  This past Tuesday in the Twin Cities we went from having the heat on in the morning to needing the air conditioning on in the evening.  That's right.  We went from temperatures in the 50s to a high of 98 degrees.  Ick.
 
Whoops!   Spoiler Alert
 
I didn't mean to spoil the Kevin Spacey connection to the film Se7en, but I did.  In order to not dig a deeper hole, I went into the spoiler after the show "ended" so that listeners could turn off the show if they wanted to avoid the spoilage.

SPOILER ALERT!  The thing I talked about was that I swear Spacey works in a little Henry Fonda in the delivery of one line.  I'd love to ask Spacey if it was intentional.

Here's the scene from Se7en the line comes at the 1:20 mark.  Compare it to this scene from the Henry Fonda film 12 Angry Men.  Pay close attention to the 1:49 mark.  Am I right or am I right?

ABBA's Super Trouper

It's a really enjoyable song about how sick and tired the singer is of touring and performing in concert.  But, at the up-coming show the love of her life will be in the crowd, so that show will be fine.  The fans should be insulted.  "What are we?  Chopped liver?"
 
Never Found In The 80s: Cocteau Twins
 
This band certainly requires a lyrics sheet if you want to know what is being sung.  With this Scottish band it was more about the feeling than the words.  You can see my piece on this never found band at the Stuck in the 80s blog.

Gas Pump Couple A Put On?

It was a feel good moment.  It really was, but the skeptic in me wondered if it was too good to be true.  Well, it just might have been.  The singing and dancing couple "discovered" at a gas pump during a regular gag bit on the Tonight Show became an internet sensation.
 
The original clip was very inspiring, but subsequent information has cast doubts on just how spontaneous the whole thing was.  Read all about it here.
 
The Skeptic's Bias
 
Last week I talked about Ben Radford's admonishment of "psychics" failing to warn of impending tragedies.  Well, I talked about it some more.  I acknowledged that we skeptics probably do have a bias against folks claiming to have psychic ability.  That bias is come by honestly, because thus far no one has ever proved they have any abilities that a competent magician doesn't also possess. 
 
I also touched on open-mindedness.  Skeptics (big "S" or small) are the ones with the open minds.  Show us the evidence to back up your extraordinary claim and, if it stands up to scrutiny, we will change our minds.  That's being open-minded.
 
Movie Recommendation: Unforgiven (1992)
 
Warner Brothers

This is a terrific Western!  Clint Eastwood stars in and directed this nuanced take on one of my favorite film genres.  This film blurs the lines between the good guys and bad guys.  And with a cast that includes Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, and Richard Harris it is hard to go wrong.

Music heard on the show (These songs are linked above)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Cotton Alley' by 10,000 Maniacs & 'Ivo' by Cocteau Twins
Second ad break bumpers: 'Jesus Chrysler Drives A Dodge' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs & 'Baby Have Some Faith' by 54-40
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment