5.05.2013

dimland radio 5-4-13 show notes


It's May And It's F#%king Snowing Out 
 
Spring in Minnesota can be a bit of a challenge.  We can have a Sunday be sunny and 80 degrees and three days later have to shovel snow.  That's what this spring has been like.
 
It's not the first time this has happened.  I related the story of another such spring when my friend John and I first encountered a fellow we called the Loud Guy.  He came into the bar one cold May night and uttered the immortal phrase, "It's May and it's f#%king snowing out!!"

A Remarkable Cargo Plane Crash

Recently, a 747 cargo plane crashed shortly after takeoff in Afghanistan.  There were two things that struck me about this tragedy.  1) The fellow who captured the video of the plane falling from the sky made virtually no sound as the plane crashed.  Remarkable!  2) Plane crashes are rare.  Very rare!  Exceedingly rare!  And yet this guy was able to capture the event on video.  It's remarkable how there still isn't any film/video footage of a bigfoot that's any better than the Patterson/Gimlin film.
 
Never Found In The 80s: Four Bands!
 
Since I did my last regular show, four artists have been featured in my Never Found in the 80s blog series.  They were 54-40, The Barracudas, Game Theory, and Front 242.  I used the four songs featured in the series as my bumpers for the show.

James McCormick Is Going To Prison

Who is James McCormick?  He's the con man who made millions selling bogus bomb detectors to the Iraqi and other world governments.  The "detector" was a dowsing device and, as we all know, dowsing doesn't work.  You do know that, right?

McCormack has been sentenced to ten years in prison and millions of dollars worth of his assets will be confiscated to help offset the money he stole.  He should be locked away for life for all the life and limb his devices surely cost innocent civilians and military personnel.
 
Read about it here.

George Jones Is Not Playing Possum, He's Really Dead

That's not very respectful, but I wanted to make a funny header for this part.  Sorry, George.

So, on April 26th, George Jones died at age 81.  I talked about his awesome voice, his hard living, and the greatest country song ever recorded.

Movie Recommendation (Television Edition): Breaking Bad (2008 - Present)
 
AMC

I'm midway through season three and wow!  The first two seasons were a slow build, but season three has me blow away.  I used to lament the lack of good scripted shows on TV.  Not having cable has put me in that state of mind.  Broadcast TV has been virtually taken over by "reality" programming, cable has the excellent scripted shows.  Thankfully, there is Netflix and I can get to watch these quality shows.

Music heard on the show (These songs are linked above)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'One Day In Your Life' by 54-40 & 'Summer Fun' by The Barracudas
Second ad break bumpers: 'Erica's Word' by Game Theory & 'Quite Unusual' by Front 242
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment