11.11.2013

dimland radio 11-9-13 show notes


End Of An Era

Blockbuster announced it will be closing 300 of their remaining stores and shutting down the DVD through the mail service.  Yes, I know, it's cool to hate Blockbuster and I never did much business with them, but the company that forced out the "Mom & Pop" video rental stores is now on its way out.

I talked about how folks my age saw the home VHS video format/rental start, flourish, and die.  I also reminisced about the early days of video technology and rentals.  So long ago.

Facebook Round-up

Let's see... I talked about political blind spots of certain A list skeptics and their hatred of Pres. George W Bush.  Bush has taken up painting since he left office and he's not very good.  The A lister noted that Hitler was also a painter.  So, then I talked a bit about Godwin's Law and the need to understand that politics is complex and even skeptics can forget about nuance.

That led me to mentioning a couple of online surveys I took.  One to determine how much I agree with various political parties, the results surprised even me.  The other survey was to determine which philosopher I most agree with and the results seemed not very scientific.  There's no way I could agree 100% with anyone, or 0% for that matter.
 
Take the political survey here and the philosophy survey here.

"Y'all Need To Post Some Positive Shit"

That was the request of a Facebook friend.  So, I picked up the gauntlet and posted a few positive news items in her comment thread.  I first posted a link to the viral story of a middle-aged Jewish man allowing an exhausted African American man to sleep on his shoulder, then I posted a couple stories from the website PositiveNews.org.uk, and I finished up with the 2008 video by Where The Hell Is Matt?  I talked about Matt Harding's video before on the show, but I thought it was worth mentioning again.

I also talked about Matt Harding admitting the video was an elaborate hoax.  One that used green screen and lots of expensive animatronics.  In case it's not obvious to you, Matt was being satirical.

Movie Recommendation: Amelie (2001)
Miramax Films
 
Sweet, quirky, funny, and romantic.  You'll feel good.  Watch it.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Crystal Days' by Echo & the Bunnymen & 'Never Talking To You Again' by Husker Du
Second ad break bumpers: 'Kissfolk' by 54-40 & 'This Is The Day' by 10,000 Maniacs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

1 comment:

  1. Anker Wireless Offers Nationwide Walkie Talkie Rentals, Two Way Radio Rentals, Radio Rentals Push-To-Talk Rentals, & Wireless Internet Rentals. Call Now 800-447-9867 For A Custom Quote Today!"

    ReplyDelete