12.15.2013

dimland radio 12-14-13 show notes


Hoisted By My Own Picard

On my Facebook page I shared an entertainment new item that I had spotted on Fox News' online page.  It was the news about the death of Shirley Mitchell, believed to be the last surviving cast member of the classic TV sitcom I Love Lucy.  Well, Fox News got it wrong, because Keith Thibodeaux, who played Little Ricky on the iconic show, is still alive.

I had a little fun at Fox's expense.  But then a FB friend successfully noted that I was showing an unfair bias against Fox News.  I protested, but he expertly used my own words against me.  Hoisted by my own Picard!

"Everybody Got A Gris Gris"

That's how Penn Jillette put it on the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on recycling.  His point was that a gris gris is something that, no matter how otherwise skeptical he/she might be, a person will still believe despite evidence to the contrary.  So, I talked about some of the dubious products and services that Penn's podcast boss, Adam Carolla, has as sponsors.  Anyway, it appears that Penn's gris gris is Lumosity.

Lumosity sponsors Penn's podcast.  It is an app that provides games meant to exercise your brain.  It claims to improve your memory, thinking, etc.  It sounded henky to me and, from what I can find, the claims have mixed reviews.  It seems to me that most credible research shows it doesn't work.  And here is an interesting article from the New Yorker on the dubious claims of brain training software.

But, Teller swears by it, so...

Snow, Car Pile-ups, Idiots, and Local News

On December 9, in Wisconsin there were two massive car pile-ups (see here and here) on one stretch of highway.  The accidents were caused by snowy conditions and drivers not adjusting their driving to handle such conditions.  I also noted that several of the drivers, once they had been crashed, got out of their vehicles were milling about on the highway.  Uh, folks?  Get out of the road!  Or better yet, stay in your vehicles until emergency crews arrive.

Then I went on a tangent about the mostly unnecessary use by local news stations to have a reporter live on the scene.  Most of the time, the reporter is on the scene long after the event has happened and all they really do is introduce a report that was taped earlier.  Why do they do that?

Dimland Radio's War On Christmas 
 
 "All da rest of dem not real Ahmercans can jest git out!"

Dimland Radio's war on Christmas continues with my refuting a Facebook post put up by an angry Christian responding to a note sent home from his child's teacher.  The teacher was happily announcing there would be a holiday party in class and she asked that $3 be sent in to help pay for the party.

Well, angry, intolerant Christian Dad didn't like the term Holiday Party and seems to think that only Christian holidays should be acknowledged in his and our kids' public schools.  Send all those Hindus, Muslims, Jews, atheists, and others out while we Americans celebrate our American holidays.

What a dick.  I feel sorry for his kid.

Movie Recommendation: The Ladykillers (1955)

Ealing Studios
 
Last week it was the ultra-violent and dark film Dredd, this week I'm recommending the sweet, funny, and gentle caper film, The Ladykillers.  It stars Alec Guiness, who is terrific as the brainy and somewhat nutty leader of an eclectic gang of misfits.  His master plan involves a sweet, kindly widow (Katie Johnson) as the unknowing partner responsible for getting the "lolly" away without raising suspicion.  It also stars a very young Peter Sellers as one of the gang of thieves.

Do I really need to tell you the caper doesn't exactly go as planned?

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'It's Your Turn' by The Who & 'Grey Victory' by 10,000 Maniacs
Second ad break bumpers: 'Fall On Me' by REM & 'Bliss' by Urban Guerrillaspenn
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment