12.29.2013

dimland radio 12-28-13 show notes


Predictions For 2013

After briefly reviewing a few of the big events of the year 2013, including one last dig at Sylvia Browne, I reviewed the predictions I made at the beginning of the year.  Turns out all my predictions came true.  Admittedly, my predictions had a high probability of being correct.

Click here to see my predictions for 2013.

Science Continues To Do Big Things

One of my 2013 predictions was that science would continue to make discoveries and advances that would benefit the world, which it did.  Easy prediction.  I gave a few examples of science news items for the year.  Wikipedia has quite a list detailing the march of science which you can see here.

Never Found In The 80s: Wire

Another of my blog series for the Stuck in the 80s blog focusing on musical acts that did not chart well in the 80s, despite the quality of their music.  Wire is the latest band to be profiled.  The song I featured is Ahead, which used to be the opening theme song of Dimland Radio.

Read more here and watch an early concert of theirs here.
 


Predictions For 2014 

So, I made four more high probability predictions for 2014.  They are:

1) The sun will continue to rise in the East and set in the West (duh!).
2) I will finally get to see the 2nd half of Breaking Bad's final season (I think this will qualify as a self-fulfilling prophecy).
3) There will be more failed predictions by the psychics (another duh).
4) The JREF's Million Dollar Challenge will remain unawarded.

See? I'm staying on the safe side with my predictions.

Breaking Bad A Bit Spoiled 

I don't have cable, so I have to wait for cable shows to become available on Netflix for me to see them.  And since September 29, 2013, I have been doing my best to avoid having Breaking Bad's finale from being spoiled.

I was doing pretty well, until earlier this past week, when the local morning news served up an unexpected spoiler.  God damn it!

Pedantic Moment 

I had a couple pedantic moments for this show.  Both had to do with the phrase "better than ever".  One had to do with the ESPN Radio show Mike & Mike in the Morning.  One of the Mikes ends each show with saying they will be back and better than ever.  I would think that at some point they won't be able to live up to that statement.

The other moment goes back to 1991 in my young curmudgeon days.  Revlon had a shampoo that was great until they changed the formula.  In a commercial featuring Cindy Crawford and another model, the point was made that the change was a bad idea, but they changed it back and, as Crawford points out, it's better than ever.

That's not how it works, Cindy.  Either it's been changed back or it's better than ever.  It can be both.
 

Movie Recommendation: Throne Of Blood (1957)

Toho Studios
 
I didn't have a recommendation for this week, but I had just watched this Akira Kurosawa film, so I went with it.  It's Kurosawa's telling of Shakespeare's MacBeth.  Somewhat overdramatic in its acting, the film has some excellent imagery and haunting moments.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Emotional Rescue' by The Rolling Stones & 'Ahead' by Wire
Second ad break bumpers: 'Take Me Down To The Hospital' by The Replacements & 'Cracking' by Suzanne Vega
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment