5.18.2014

dimland radio 5-17-14 show notes

 
 It's Live Show!

I had a busy week. I had no time to prerecord the show, so I went live.

Some Baseball Talk
 
My younger celebrated his birthday on Friday, so I gave him a shout out. That led me to talk about big-time pitcher from the 80s and early 90s, Jack Morris whose birthday is also May 16th. I talked about the greatness of Jack Morris' brilliant pitching performance in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series. I maintained that his 10 inning shutout with the series on the line was a gutsier performance than Don Larsen's perfect game in the '56 World Series.

A Good Sunday
 
Some several weeks ago, I broke my Google Nexus 7. It was a bit of a bone-headed move done just the once. So, I set aside money to save up for the repair cost. I finally have enough set aside and Hayden and I took a drive to drop my ailing tablet at the computer hospital.

On the way back, we past Battle Creek Regional Park. I pointed it out to Hayden and said I should take him there sometime. He said, "Why not now?"

Why not? So, I turned around and we spent the next hour or so going for a very pleasant walk, Hayden loved it and would really like to go back today. There is a definite possibility we will. We'll see.
 
The Lost Art Of Counting Change
 
Years and years ago, back before cash registers told the cashiers of today the amount of change to give back to a customer, we had to count the change back. I skill that was taught to me by my father. It is becoming a lost art.
 
I also noted that, until cash money stops being used completely, cashiers need to learn that when handing the change to the customer, it's coins first, then bills. Not the other way around!
 
Westminster Chimes
 
Some weeks ago, while on a walk with my boy, we heard a local church clock begin to sound the hour. This clock, like many others, played a short tune before chiming the hour. It was then that I wondered if there was a name for that little tune.

There is. It's called the Westminster Chimes (or Westminster Quarters or Cambridge Quarters). I must thank Jeff Wagg for his vast knowledge as he instantly knew the answer.
 
Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry, so you can learn more.
 
A Stopped Clock...
 
Usually wrong Pat Robertson was right about something. He answered a viewer's question about old earth vs. new earth. Pat understands that the earth is billions of years old and not thousands. So, now, science-denier Ken Hamm wants to debate Pat. That would be fun.

So Sick Of Facebook Tribalism
 
I used to be quite the political conservative some years ago, but now I've pretty much tired of the whole tribalism thing that politics encourages. Well, feeling that way makes Facebook a bit frustrating as so many of my FB friends are so full of that tribalism. They tend to be left in their politics and tend to see in only black or white terms when it comes to Republicans and conservatives.

Case in point, the recent outrage of Ann Coulter has brought out the double standard mentality. Ann posed with a sign stating "#bringourcountryback." Well, she opened herself up to a lot of parody opportunities.

One such parody changed her sign to "If I get 100,000 likes, I'll show my penis." Oh, hahahahaha. That's so funny! Har har har!

Oh, hang on. This is from the group of people who tend to be so sensitive about gender issues, but it's ok to make gender insults against someone we don't like, I guess.
  
 
Movie Recommendation TV Edition: Stephen Fry in America (2008)
 
BBC

Writer/actor Stephen Fry drives a London-style cab across the USA. He visits each of the 50 states. Stephen is awesome and so is the series. Check it out, the six episode series is streaming on Netflix.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Qu'est-Ce Que C'est Que Ca' by Pete Shelley & 'C'est Comme Ca' by Les Rita Mitsouko
Second ad break bumpers: 'She's On It' by Beastie Boys & 'Nocturnal Me' by Echo & the Bunnymen
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment