5.04.2014

dimland radio 5-3-14 show notes

 
Sir Paul And A Panic

It was a lengthy story about getting tickets to see Paul McCartney in concert this summer at Target Field. We're going as part of a birthday event for my son, who turns 11 the day before the show. I ended the tale with rather excited talk about how I panicked just after I had bought the tickets.
 
Here And There And Everywhere

Well, not exactly, but I have had several pieces that I've written showing up on the internets. I've had four Never Founds posted this week over at the Stuck in the 80s blog.
 
I profiled The Dukes of Stratosphear, The Pale Fountains, Hoodoo Gurus, and Naked Raygun.

Also, one of my older blogs has been updated and posted at the Two Different Girls blog. It was written about a certain walk Hayden and I went on on a beautiful autumn day. It's also better a couple unscheduled lessons in language and reproduction.

Prolific Pete Townshend
 
Did you know that in the three year period of 1980 to 1982, Pete Townshend wrote nearly four albums. Two for himself: 'Empty Glass' (1980) and 'All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes' (1982); and two for the Who: 'Face Dances' (1981) and 'It's Hard' (1982). That's a total of 36 new songs.

Jeepers! That's pretty impressive for an artist who was drunk and on heroin for a good chuck of that time.

Correction: I mentioned a video for a song from Pete's 'Empty Glass' album that shows Pete gaunt, pale, and likely drunk. I said the song was 'Jools and Jim', that's not it. The song is 'Keep On Working'.

Pedantic Moment: Run The Bases!
 
For the 16th episode of season six of The X-Files actor Jesse L Martin played Josh Exley, a 1940's era Negro League hitter. During the cold open, Exley hits a home run to win a secret pick up game against an all white team. There is celebration at home plate with all his teammates as they had just one the game. Only thing is, Exley never ran the bases. For the homer to count the hitter must touch all the bases.
 
Movie Recommendation: Moneyball (2011)
 
Columbia Pictures

Starring Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, 'Moneyball' examines the true story Oakland A's general manager and his newly hired assistant using a system of statistics to field an competitive on a budget.

It's very good and the three principle actors turn in excellent performances.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Let My Love Open The Door' by Pete Townshend & 'You Better You Bet' by The Who
Second ad break bumpers: 'Face Dances Part Two' by Pete Townshend & 'Athena' by The Who
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment