7.14.2014

dimland radio 7-12-14 show notes

Pedantic Moment: Cuteeee
 
When I read the posts on my Facebook, I see people not understanding how to elongate words for emphasis. For instance, if you wanted to elongate the word "cute" how would you do it?

Hint: The "E" is silent.

Congratulations Cosmos!
 
Congratulations to the producers of 'Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey'! The Fox science series received 12 Emmy nominations:

- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series
- Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Progamming
- Outstanding Art Direction for Variety, Nonfiction, Reality, or Reality/Competition Programming
- Outstanding Cinematography for Nonfiction Programming
- Outstanding Picture Editing for Nonfiction Programming
- Outstanding Main Title Design
- Outstanding Music Composition for a Series
- Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
- Outstanding Sound Editing for Nonfiction Programming
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for Nonfiction Programming
- Outstanding Special and Visual Effects
.

I Did A Study

 
Admittedly, it was not a very scientific study, but I was prompted to do it by the meme you see above. I thought that I'd check out 50 notorious murderers and find out what their astrological signs were and see how they fared compared with the claim that is made by the meme.
 
My results showed that 56% of the 50 murderers I compiled did not fall under any of the five signs in the meme. I wrote about it here.
 
I will add this, which I hadn't thought to check for the original blog or to mention on the show. It is interesting that 7 of 12 (that's the ratio of signs not included in the meme) is about 58.33%. That's not far of from 56%, is it?

Dimland Radio Science Hero: Ozzy Osbourne
 
You read that right. Ozzy Osbourne. Some years ago, I'm not sure how many, Ozzy and Sharon were guests on the Graham Norton Show along with Olivia Newton John. ONJ was hawking some fruity, herbal drink her husband was marketing. She claimed the potion "clears your mind, brightens your day."
 
Ozzy drank a good amount of it and had a little fun. Then he wrapped it up nicely when he let everyone know what he really thought of it. Sure, this isn't an example of good science or skepticism being done. It was pretty knee-jerk. But I thought it was an excellent response to some fairly dubious claims.
 
Tommy Cooper Dies On Stage
 
There's a parody of Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start the Fire' song that changes all of the pop culture and historical references. One change was the line, "Tommy Cooper died on stage..."
 
That line intrigued me as I hadn't heard of Tommy Cooper or the fact that he died on stage. I looked it up and I found video of his having a heart attack while performing on live television. I won't link to it out of respect for his family.
 
I hoped that my talking about it wouldn't be disrespectful, but I described what happened. How he was preparing to perform a trick, while his assistant helped him into an over-sized cloak, when he seemed to lose his balance. His assistant leaves the stage as Cooper collapses. The audience laughs, thinking this was part of the routine. He then falls onto his back. Audience laughter again. Cooper is just lying there. It begins to dawn on everyone, "This is not part of the act." Cut to commercial.
 
And that was it. He died.
 
I talked about how suddenly death can come for us. And that the moment wasn't very dramatic. It was almost gentle. Cooper didn't grab his chest or cry out in pain. He just slumped to the floor and then onto his back.
 
When our time comes, sometimes it just sneaks up on us.
 
Movie Recommendation: A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
 
MGM
 
I really didn't have time to go into a movie recommendation this week, but at the top of the show, during my Pedantic Moment, I did talk a little bit about this movie. So, I figured it was as good a recommendation as any.

It's a very funny caper film starring two Pythons: John Cleese, who also wrote the film, and Michael Palin, along with Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Kline. Everyone is very good and very funny in this movie. Nicely done.
    
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Highwayman' by The Highwaymen & 'Heat of the Moment' by Asia
Second ad break bumpers: 'Here Comes Your Man' by Pixies & 'Houses In Motion' by Talking Heads
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment