3.23.2015

dimland radio 3-21-15 show notes

A Brunch With Atheists

So, recently I went to a meet-up of Minnesota Atheists. It was at a restaurant that I had never been to before and Google maps may have got me to the ballpark, it didn't get me to my seat. I ended up being a bit later than I figured I'd be.
 
There were about have a dozen folks there and they were all quite nice as they brunched on a course of dead babies. (That's what atheists eat, you know.) There was talk about the old drive-in movie theaters, doing live radio, and a couple "get out of hell free" cards were handed out.
 
They seem like a likable enough bunch. And the roasted baby?  Deeee-lish!  

Dog Attack

There Hayden and I were, minding our own business, in our living room one weekend afternoon, when we heard the horrible sound of two dogs fighting and a woman crying for help. It was a neighbor lady who was walking her Husky puppy when a unleashed Black Lab attacked. I ran out to assist. I really didn't do much, but I was there and did what I could.

Car Crash

Just this past Tuesday (St. Patrick's Day), my family was awaken by the sound of a car crashing just outside our house. We thought it hit our van, but it crashed into the tree on the boulevard next to the van.
 
I related the story of three very scared young people, a crashed car, an angry and yet apologetic man with a sawed off shotgun, and me in my pajamas. No one was hurt, but the car was totaled and the I'm not sure if the gun-wielding man was ever found.

The mother of one of those three young people told me that the kids think I saved their lives. They believe that my being there prevented the fellow from killing them. I think they are being a tad over dramatic.

I really didn't do much, but I was there and did what I could.

Patriarchy!

I finished talking about what a good guy I am. Someone willing to help and at all. I built up that good will and then I went and jeopardized that it by letting it be known that I think the Gender Wage Gap is bullshit. It's based on a misleading statistic that makes it appear that women get paid 77 cents for every dollar a man earns.
 
From what I can find on this, it seems obvious that this simply isn't true. Check here and here to get the skinny. But, if I am wrong and those sources are bogus, let me know. Email me at drdim@dimland.com.

There Is Another Gender Gap

But, there is another gender gap that we don't hear about. It is a statistic in which women are grossly underrepresented. Of every 100 workers affected in this statistic, only eight are women.
 
The statistic is workplace related deaths. Shall we call for an equalizing of that gender gap?

Movie Recommendation: None

You are on your own this week. Sorry.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Running Up That Hill' by Kate Bush & 'Run It' by The Replacements
Second ad break bumpers: 'Running On The Spot' By The Jam & 'Running Free' by The Buzzcocks
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment