6.01.2015

dimland radio 5-30-15 show notes

Why The Backward Show?

Last week I did an usual show. I did it backward. Why? It was my tribute to David Letterman. A backward show was the kind of thing Letterman would do in the Late Night days. I then talked about Dave retiring from late night TV after 33 years and how, in the early days, I was a big fan.
 
I don't want to sound all hipster here, because I still enjoyed Dave after the Late Night days when he went to CBS, I just didn't watch him as much. Before leaving NBC, Dave had begun to lose that edge, but he was still funny.
 
Anyway, I did the backward show. It worked somewhat OK.

Comic Convention With My Son
 
There are perks to be had at certain jobs. If you work at a comic book store you can get in free at the big comic convention at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. All I had to do was tell them I worked for Nostalgia Zone and in my son and I went. No waiting with the rabble.

Skeptical Cleeses


I've been slapping together some graphics with messages for posting on Facebook lately. I found an excellent image of John Cleese in a sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus. He looks pretty skeptical, so I grabbed it and started adding text to the image.

It's part of my "That face I make when..." series. They all have something we need to be skeptical of and I've done eight so far. I could make these all days. But I will limit production. I hope they go viral.

A Harsh Graphic
 
 
I also created the above graphic. It is rather harsh, but my mean atheist self just had to do it. I hope this makes some people think.

A Tale Of Two Who Who Dillies

Flipping through the channels the other night, I stumbled upon the gangster film 'Capone' (1975). What I saw was jaw-dropping.
 
In 1992, Sharon Stone and her who who dilly made a big splash in the film 'Basic Instinct'. She became a household name and the film became a hit. Flashing one's naughty bit can boost one's career and make a hit film, right?
 
The star-making shot.
Ever hear of that film 'Capone', maybe you have, but I hadn't. Susan Blakely gave audiences a full "how do you do!" look at her goods. Did that translate into a big hit film and mega-stardom? Nope.
 
The not star-making shot. Yes, it's small, but you get the idea.
Oh, and I watched 'Capone'. Not very good.
 
Movie Recommendations: Interstellar (2014)
 
Paramount Pictures/Warner Bros. Pictures
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I watched it once by myself, then a second time with Amy and Hayden. It's a touching film about a father trying to save his family and humanity. In the not too distant future, the earth is dying and NASA has a plan. A wormhole had been discovered by the planet Saturn that leads to another galaxy with three planets with the potential of being populated by the human species.
 
But they need to find out which, if any, will be the new earth? 
 
It stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, John Lithgow, Jessica Chastain, and Casey Affleck and was directed by Christopher Nolan. It's terrific and, from what I understand, it gets the science right. Yay, science!
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'I Bought Myself A Liarbird' by XTC & 'I Wanna Be A Flintstone' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Ran (So Far Away)' By A Flock Of Seagulls & 'I Against I' by Bad Brains
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment