8.24.2015

dimland radio 8-22-15 show notes

Emergency At The Folks' House

My mom fell again. Nothing broken and only some bruising, but emotionally she was pretty worked up. She was down on the floor for about a half hour before Dad found her. He called me to come over to help. I was able to get there quickly and we eventually got her off the floor.
 
"Can't pretend that growing older never hurts." ~ Pete Townshend

Having An Effect?

I know there aren't many who listen to my show. I know I'm a pretty small fish in the pond of skepticism, but I still try to spread the ideals of skepticism where I can. My show and Facebook are where I do most of my skeptical activism, but am I having an effect?
 
A friend of mine posted the graphic you see below on my Facebook page...
 
 
It's typical conspiracy theory silliness. On the show I added a few paranoid tropes hauled out by believers in such unreasonableness.
 
My friend let me know that he engaged with a person through the internets who believes in the claims in the graphic. He said a little bit of me was speaking through him. He told me that he is a skeptical person, but that I am the master.
 
Well, I'm not sure about that, but it made my day.
 
One Of The 1,875,693 Things That Annoy Me

I realized the other day that road construction can annoy me even when I'm not driving. The shadow government that controls everything has determined it was necessary to invent the back-up warning beep sound and make sure every construction vehicle be equipped with the noise maker. So, when there is road construction going on outside my office, such as the case lately, I can have my day filled with beep beep beep...beep beep beep beep beep...beep beep beep beep.
 
How To Do Proper Product Placement

So, my friend, Scott Roberts, was doing some shopping at Target the other day. Back-to-school no doubt. He stumbled upon some very good product placement likely due to some guerrilla skeptical activism. He took a picture and posted it online (see below).
 
Someone had placed a Ouija board by Hasbro where another game was supposed to be on the shelf. The other game is called Utter Nonsense! I think we have some truth in advertising here.
 
Can we add homeopathic remedies and self-help books to this shelf?
New Blog Entry For Warehouse Find

Warehouse Find is the official blog of Nostalgia Zone, a comics and collectibles store I work for and for which I've been doing some blogging. I recently posted a review of sorts of the 1976 Western 'The Shootist'. I bring up something about the movie that doesn't make sense.
 
If you've seen the film or if you don't mind it being spoiled, here is that blog entry.
 
Wading In...

You probably heard about some lion having been killed in Zimbabwe. Apparently, a Minnesota dentist was the fellow who killed it. There was quite the worldwide uproar and shitstorm on social media. Some people even felt it was OK to post the dentist's home address online where someone might use that information to go too far.
 
I pointed out that I felt the posting of his address and having a former FB friend state she would be OK with his family being killed due to that publication was just as disturbing as the killing of the lion. I was encouraged to see so many of my FB friends felt the same way I did.
 
There was one woman in the comment thread who didn't get that the kind of tactics being used against the dentist were very dangerous. I think I got her to realize that although we may find trophy hunting abhorrent, we should not endorse that sort of mob justice, because the mob can turn on anyone. Even us.
 
At least, I think I got her to think about it.
 
Movie Recommendations: None

Another week with too much show to have time to recommend a movie. I'll do what I can to get one recommended next week.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good' by Don Williams & 'Angels Of Deception' by The The
Second ad break bumpers: 'Baby Have Some Faith' By 54-40 & 'The Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill' by Husker Du
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment