10.05.2015

dimland radio 10-3-15 show notes

Once Again..

Yes, another senseless mass shooting. Another round of outrage and calls for and against gun control. Another round of calls for improved mental healthcare. And another round of me saying I don't know the answer.
 
I do know we ain't goin' to hell in a hand-basket. Since World War II, the world has gotten more peaceful and less violent. Since the 1990s, violent crime in America has declined. I also know that going by what we see and hear on the 24 hour news channels and social media everything appears far worse than it is.
 
Jeff Wagg of the College of Curiosity has an idea that might help stop these tragic events. He's not the first to propose it, but he gets the idea out very cohesively as one of his Daily Curio audio podcasts. His idea to to just not publicize the names of these killers and limit the coverage of the events. It may be possible to get the cable news outlets to not mention the name, but to limit their coverage would be a difficult request to meet.
 
As I've done before (and, sadly, may do again) I'm sharing Pete Townshend's plea to 'Stop Hurting People'.

Yay! Science!

I tried to lighten the mood of the show by reminding listeners that humans may be capable of mass shootings and other acts of violence, they are also capable of soaring to great heights. Science keeps having awesome moments and I talked about two of them: More pictures of Pluto's moon Charon and WATER ON MARS!!
 
Yay! Science!
 
How To Upstage A Supermoon Eclipse
 
How does one top a total lunar eclipse during a supermoon? Easy. Invite a racoon!

My lunar eclipse companion or, at least, how I'll describe him.
OK, I didn't invite the critter. He just wandered onto our backyard deck and stunned the hell out of me. He didn't attack. There was no long, heroic battle between man and beast, but that is how I'll tell the story years from now.

The lunar eclipse or, at least, how I'll describe it.
10-02-82
 
That is a very important date for me. No, it's not when my son was born. It's not when I met or married my wife. Nothing so trivial.
 
It was on that date that I saw Rock's all-time greatest band: The Who. I wrote about it on this blog some years ago: here.
 
It's been 33 years, but the love affair is still going strong.

Movie Recommendations: The Kids Are Alright (1979)
 
New World Pictures
The rockumentary doesn't follow a chronological path when displaying the greatest rock band ever, but it will go a long way in demonstrating why I love this band so much. There's no narration, just lots of interviews and loads of great concert footage.

These kids are definitely alright!

Check out the trailer with a familiar face. Here!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Daily Records' & 'Athena' by The Who
Second ad break bumpers: 'It's Hard' &  'Cry If You Want' By The Who
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment