12.21.2015

dimland radio 12-19-15 show notes

A Shout Out That Went Wrong...

Blame it on my cis gender dumbassedness. I gave a thank you to Matthew Love of Minnesota Trans-Atheist Podcast for kindly recommending people listen to my show. Well, Matthew or Maddy is a transwoman and I celled her a fellow and he and so on. Just a little bit of research would have helped me not make assumptions and be so dumb.

I was trying to thank her, not insult her. I've sent her a message of apology and will make the correction at the top of next week's show.
 
I'm sorry, Maddy.
 
Star Wars! Nothing But Star Wars!

Perhaps you've there's a new Star Wars movie in theaters now. Well, if you haven't heard, there is. It's kind of a big deal. So, lots of people are talking about Star Wars. Talking about the new film, about their memories of the originals, and about how much the prequels sucked. And they did suck.
 
There was a lot of hope that JJ Abrams, a filmmaker and a fan of Star Wars, would restore balance to the series. You see, if you haven't heard, Abrams directed and co-wrote the new film. Was the hope realized? I'll get to that later.
 
So, I talked about seeing Star Wars for the first time and how it impressed the hell out of an 11 year-old me. I also mentioned when I first heard of Star Wars. It was during the coming attractions prior to the showing of the 1977 animated film Wizards.
 
Wizards was a post-apocalyptic story of fairies and wizards; and good and evil. I remember enjoying it at the time, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. Coincidentally, Wizards features the voice talent of Mark Hamill as Sean King of the Mountain Fairies.
 
So, the trailer for Star Wars played and what I remembered of it was R2D2 getting blasted by the Jawas and his falling over afterward. That got a laugh for the Wizard audience, but I don't recall being excited about seeing this Star Wars movie.
 
I mentioned a couple longtime friends of mine who held opposite views of Star Wars. One thought it was brilliant and life-changing. The other thought it was stupid.

Stupid?! What do you mean stupid?!

He didn't like the robots. He thought they were hokey and dumb. I told that friend it was obvious he was never a child.

I did get him to admit the opening sequence was awesome though. That opening is one of the most awe-inspiring sequences in all of cinema. Wouldn't you agree?

Of course, I talked about how awful the prequels are and how disappointing it was that George Lucas felt it necessary to mess with the original films in his special edition series. Come on, George! Han shot first!

I mentioned other podcasts doing their Star Wars shows. The Film Vault did their Top Five Star Wars Memories. And the fellows who host the Comedy Film Nerds podcast went all the way form Los Angeles to Australia to be among the very first people in the world to see Episode 7. After seeing the film, they immediately did a live spoiler episode of their podcast.

The Film Vault show is here and the Comedy Film Nerds show is here. Remember: The Comedy Film Nerds show is a spoiler show, so don't listen to it if you haven't seen the new movie. Unless you're into having movies spoiled.

As I mentioned, the prequels sucked. We can just forget they happened. Or you could watch Harry Plinkett's YouTube take down of each film. He has some bizarre humor interspersed throughout the critiques and there is some NSFW stuff, but his insights on the films are excellent.

Here's part one of his take down of Phantom Menace.

Here's part one of his take down of Attack of the Clones.

Here's his take down of Revenge of the Sith all in one video.
 
The Things You Could Buy From Ads In Comic Books
 
I revived and revised an old blog I did for Dimland and posted it on Warehouse Find, the official blog of the Nostalgia Zone. I marveled at the fact that in 1965 you could buy a squirrel monkey through the mail. Here is what I wrote.
 
A Facebook friend asked if there was any information online about people actually taking the ad up on its offer. I did find one. The fellow got pretty chewed up at first, but the animal became a beloved pet. Who knew?
 
Movie Recommendation: Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story Of Cannon Films (2014)
 
Umbrella Entertainment
Do you love movies? Do you take your love for movies seriously? If you do, you probably hate most of the movies produced by Cannon Films. Run by cousins Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, Cannon put out lots and lots of crappy movies in the 1980s. Occasionally, a decent film would slip through, such as Runaway Train, but most was absolute dreck.

However, this documentary is very interesting and gives us an insight into how to make bad movies.

You can stream it not for free on Netflix.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch' by Thurl Ravenscroft & 'Have A Holly Jolly Christmas' by Burl Ives
Second ad break bumpers: 'It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year' by Andy Williams &  'Christmastime Is Here' by Vince Guaraldi Trio
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment