3.13.2016

dimland radio 3-12-16 show notes

How Many Years?!

It was March 13, 2010 that Dimland Radio first appeared on Z Talk Radio. I've racked up 266 shows since then and I'm pretty sure Dimland Radio is the second longest running show on Z Talk Radio. I took time to thank Scotty Rorek, owner of Z Talk, for giving me a shot at doing a show and not pulling me off the network when I skeptical of there being ghosts, spirits, demons, psychic powers, telekinesis, mind-reading, extraterrestrial visitations, giant or regular sized angels, life after death, Atlantis, shadow people, men in black, bigfoots, poltergeists, a Mothman, chupacabras, a Loch Ness monster, alien abductions, past lives, spirit guides, gods, etc. And when I skeptical of ghost boxes, Reiki, dowsing, homeopathy, magnet therapy, astrology, chiropractic, therapeutic touch, reflexology, prayer, coffee enemas, etc. actually working.
 
The science just doesn't support any of it. So, I remain skeptical.
 
Still, thanks, Scotty.

A Visit With Some Minnesota Skeptics

I hadn't done a meet-up with a group of skeptics in a long while. I forget how many years ago it was when I attended a Minnesota Skeptics "newbie" night. I enjoyed it, but I just didn't go to any other meet-ups. Not that I'm anti-social, I just hadn't gone to any.
 
I decided it was time to attend one of the monthly meet-ups. The group had the foresightedness of having their gatherings on Thursday nights, because that is one of the two nights I have off during the work week.
 
So, I headed out last Thursday, making the trip across the river to Minneapolis and, having park much farther away than I needed to, I hiked the eight blocks and walked into the deli and spotted a couple people I recognized from the Facebook page. Stealthily I approached, maybe they wouldn't notice me, maybe I could just slink away unspotted. I don't look good in spots.
 
Nope, Maddy saw me and announced that Jim Fitzsimons from Dimland Radio was there. It was strange hearing my name being associated with my show. Other than when I say it, that is. In fact, Travis, the meet-up organizer, floored me when he not only told me listened, but that my show was one of the first skeptical podcasts he had listened to. He sent me through the floor when he told me that my show was recommended listening by iTunes, because he listened to other skeptically themed podcast. I still can't quite figure out how that happened.
 
It's pretty cool though. 
 
They made me feel very welcome. I will have to do my best to go each month.
 
A Dimland Radio ARGH!
 
I'm toying with the idea of doing a take off of the Dimland Radio Pedantic Moments called Dimland Radio ARGH! It would be a more intense reaction to something I find annoying than merely being pedantic about something someone got wrong.
 
So, this first foray had me ARGHing about how record labels would take perfectly good album tracks and lop of a few seconds for their release as singles for radio play. This had bothered me for a long time, but it was brought to mind when Adam Carolla played XTC's Senses Working Overtime on his podcast as an example of a great song. He is right about the song, however, he played the hacked single version. ARGH!
 
This is the version Adam played. This is the version he should have played.

Time To Let My Inner Dirty Old Man Out
 
God damn!
I blogged about this for Warehouse Find, the official blog of Nostalgia Zone, this week, so I won't belabor the point here. Essentially, I admitted to being... impressed by Seven of Nine of Star Trek: Voyager. The show was OK, but Jeri Ryan in that form fitting silver outfit - Va va vooooooom!
 
Movie Recommendation: Pete Townshend's Deep End (1985)
 
I'm a big Who fan and, of course, a big fan of Pete Townshend, so I find this concert from 1985 very enjoyable. I love watching musicians, good at their craft, just playing the shit out of something. Admittedly, it does help if you like the material. And I do like this material.
 
Yes, that is Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd on lead guitar. He had played on Pete's album White City: A Novel, which was Pete's latest release at the time this was filmed.
 
It's on YouTube and it sounds so damn good! 
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Man On The Corner' By Genesis & 'Luka' by Suzanne Vega
Second ad break bumpers: 'Paradise' by Sade & 'Senses Working Overtime' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment