6.06.2016

dimland radio 6-4-16 show notes

Just A Little Rewrite

A little rewrite was all it would have taken for me to be able to accept part of the background of the main character of the 1962 Western classic, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart played Ransom Stoddard. The film is Stoddard telling a newspaper editor of the events from 25 years previous that had made him famous. 

That's where my problem lies. You see, Stoddard tells us he was "just a youngster, fresh out of law school." Only problem is Jimmy Stewart was in his 50s when he made the movie.
A "youngster" getting a shooting lesson from the Duke.
I enjoy the film, but I just can't buy it that he's a "youngster". 

A rewrite to change it from him being "fresh out of law school" to having struggled as a lawyer back East and wanting to take a chance in the West, would have been all the movie needed to get this pedant fully on board.

Prime Cut Almost Put Me Off Beef, Almost

I also talked about the movie Prime Cut from 1972. It's a gangster film of sorts with Lee Marvin, out of Chicago, sent to Texas to get the 500 grand owed to the Chicago mob by a Texas gangster. That gangster is played by Gene Hackman.

It's the title sequence that nearly put me off beef. It shows cattle going through the process of becoming prime cut beef. It's not graphic, but it's still disturbing. This link will show you the process.

However, a very young and very naked Sissy Spacek may not have been needed to put my back on beef, but she didn't hurt.

 
Dimland Radio ARGH!

If you've listened to my show long enough over the years, you would have heard me rant about how much I hate it when people take video in the portrait (vertical) format, instead of using landscape (horizontal). Movies are in landscape. Television is in landscape. That's how we see. But so many people are too lazy or ignorant to turn their smart devices 90 degrees, so that we can see more pertinent information.

I ran across another great example. At this link (I hope the link works) is a video of a woman getting too close to an elk in the wild. The elk charges her and knocks her on her butt. However, we don't see the impact because the fellow taking the video doesn't know how to hold a camera, so the elk charges off-screen and we miss the impact.

I, again, make my plea to the manufacturers of these devices to set the video camera to default to landscape. Please! For the love of sanity!

Another Bear Walking Upright

And bigfoot couldn't be a bear. Noooo. Nope. No way. Uh uh.

I'm Done With The Adam Carolla Podcast

I talked about this briefly on the show, but I wrote about it at length here.
Movie Recommendation: None

I didn't have time, but you could check out the two films I mention at the top.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Wolves, Lower' by REM & 'This Wheel's On Fire' by Siouxsie & the Banshees
Second ad break bumpers: 'Escape From The Planet Earth' by The Alleycats & 'Ronnie's Song' by Urban Guerrillas
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment