7.12.2016

dimland radio 7-9-16 show notes

What's Going On?

Police officers killed two African American males with both incidents looking as though the police grossly overreacted to the situations. I've learned there was a white man shot by police in Fresno, CA as, it is alleged, he was laying on the ground. In Dallas, a city that has been trying to address the serious issues of excessive force by law enforcement, especially when involving African Americans, there was a deadly attack by a sniper during a peaceful Black Lives Matters protest. Five police officers were killed and several more were injured, including at least one civilian. The sniper was killed by police. All of these events happened last week.

What's going on?

I discussed mainly the killing of Philando Castile, because that horrifying act happened practically in my own backyard. I talked about how Castile's reputation was one of a decent man who was well-respected by his co-workers and bosses and the students of the school at which he worked. He seemed like the kind of fellow you'd want as a neighbor.

The details are not all known at this time, let alone at the time of my recording this show. What I knew when going on the air was that Castile was pulled over for a broken taillight, he had a permit to carry a handgun, he informed the officer of having a gun and permit to carry, he was going for his wallet to get his ID, and he was shot dead by the police officer.

I had not watched the uncensored video streamed live on Facebook moments after he had been shot. And we, so far, only have the word of Castile's girlfriend as to what happened prior to her making the video.

We don't know for sure what happened before the video was taken, but from what I know at the time of this writing it sure seems as though the cop acted hastily and unprofessionally.

Was race involved? I have to think it was. I've been learning over the past few years that I really don't know what it's like to be black in America.

Trevor Noah of Comedy Central's The Daily Show sums up this cops/race/Black Lives Matter/excessive force very well here.

More details and conspiratorial misinformation have emerged since I recorded the show. I will address that next week.

Dimland Radio Argh!: Newt Gingrich Can't Catch A Break With Some People

Newt Gingrich, historically one of the most hated conservatives in America, made remarks about the state of race and policing in America in the wake of the police shootings last week. He said that he had been learning over the years by talking to people about the black experience in America just how different and dangerous life is for African Americans.

This is a good thing. A powerful, right-wing, white fellow is having his eyes opened and he's talking about it publicly. This may help other white folks in this country open their eyes.

But is that something folks on the Left are praising? Perhaps some are, but one on Facebook and many of her commenters aren't. Gingrich said, ""If you are a normal white American, the truth is you don’t understand being black in America." She and others found that statement objectionable and racist. Why? Because he used the word "normal".

She took that to mean normal Americans are white and that Americans who are not white are not normal. See how racist Newt is?

Some people will never be pleased. They can't see how important an ally in race relations Gingrich can be in getting other conservatives to realize there is a problem in law enforcement in America. Nope. Can't have that racist saying white people are normal. Context is lost on some people. Gingrich might have done better to say "average white Americans", but, somehow, I don't think that would have made a difference to that particular Facebooker.

It Wasn't All Bad News Last Week, Mostly But Not All

In a yin yang sort of situation, last week started way to the good side of the magic to science spectrum. The good end is the science end, by the way. NASA successfully put a satellite in orbit of our solar system's largest planet: Jupiter. It was a five year trip that covered more than a billion miles. Yay! Science!
 
However, before even getting to the end of the week, the magic end of the spectrum reared its ugly, irrational, silly head. Ken Ham opened his massive roadside attraction: Noah's Ark Encounter. Yep. It's true. Complete with dinosaurs.

I have to think that if the world had only advanced to the level of science understanding and expertise obtained by the writers of Ham's favorite book (the Bible, of course), we wouldn't have a satellite orbiting Jupiter. Or vaccines. Or computers. Or airplanes. Or light bulbs. Or the heavy equipment used to build Ham's ark encounter...

This Illustration Looks Familiar

Found in the Noah's Ark roadside attraction. Photo/patheos.com
As I was perusing the images of what could be encountered in the Ark roadside attraction (posted here), I came across a cartoon illustration of Noah's Ark. It stopped me in my tracks. It really looked familiar. Did I draw this?

I had done a couple Ark illustrations about 20 years ago for a Christian bookseller. Was this one of those? I rushed home from work to check, but it was not one of those drawings. It occurred to me that it might have been an existing design the company had and they had me use it as a reference to what they were looking for.

But it looks like something I might have drawn. A little cruder than what I can do now, but... Did I draw this?!

You'd think I'd remember, but memory is not videotape. I can see flashes of me working on it, but they don't seem right. I could be confabulating my memories of those other drawings I know I did do with this one.

I don't think I'll ever know for certain, but I will default to thinking I did not draw it. Which is a bummer as it would be cool knowing a piece of art I did is on display at the Ark Park.

Free TV Key By Clear TV

"Are you tired of paying those expensive cable or satellite bills? You can spend an average of $80 a month on cable or satellite programming, but with the Free TV Key by Clear TV for just $19.95 plus shipping and handling you can get all your favorite broadcast channels for free! Blow up those expensive cable and satellite bills and get your Free TV Key and attach it to the back of you TV. You'll get all those top rated network shows, local news and weather, sporting events and more! All for free! With Free TV Key there's no contracts, no monthly fees, no unexpected rate increases, and no cable or satellite programs!

"Uh, wait a second. Forget I said that last part. The part about no cable or satellite programs."

Folks, Free TV Key by Clear TV is just an antenna.
Movie Recommendation: None

Ran out of time. You are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Love Is The Law' by The Suburbs & 'Love Is A Stranger' by Eurythmics
Second ad break bumpers: 'Love Vigilantes' by New Order & 'Love Is Stronger Than Pride' by Sade
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment