11.14.2016

dimland radio 11-12-16 show notes

Well, Well, Well 

It looks like everybody got it wrong, Well, everybody except Michael Moore, he seemed to have a handle on this election. He didn't underestimate President-Elect Donald Trump's outsider appeal.

Look, I ain't nowhere smart enough to figured this one out. And I don't want to just say the everything will be OK. I don't know that it will. I worry about plenty of the possibilities of a Trump Presidency, most notable is how will science fair and how will this effect the world's fight against climate change.


I advised my listener, "Let's not just say things will be OK. Let's do everything we can to make sure things are going to be OK."

Here's a couple links to give some perspective and balance and caution. Here and here.

ABBA Can Help

After I did what I could to assuage fears, I played a bit of a song by ABBA. I put to you that it is impossible to feel anything but serene when listening to this song:


Ahhhhhh. ABBA. 

These Were Cool!

 
I chatted briefly about the old voting booths and how much I liked them, although I only got to use one once. I just thought the pulling the level to close the curtain was such an awesome thing. I'm not sure why they're not used any more, but such is progress, I guess.

Photojournalists Don't Just Snap Pictures: Follow-Up

My listener, Trisha, wasn't sure about some of the information I gave about that terrible photograph depicting the horrific-ness of war from the Vietnam War. So, I looked into the photo and learned more details and that photographs can lie.

AP photo/Eddie Adams
The above photo shows a South Vietnamese officer summarily executing a prisoner. The photo won a Pulitzer and was used be the anti-war movement, but it doesn't tell the whole story. The man being shot was accused of being a Viet Cong assassin who was caught almost red-handed in the mass murder of South Vietnamese officers and their families. The general who shots the man judged the prisoner as guilty and took him out. War is all hell.

You can read more about the incident here. 

Weird Choices In Censorship

It's not exactly censorship, it's just cutting out the swearing. But sometimes what gets censored or cleaned up and what doesn't has me scratching my head.

The first example was from a video by Arnold Schwarzenegger attempting to get viewers to battle climate change. Try as I might, I can't find that video, so I can't link to it. You'll just have to take my word that I actually saw this and that I wasn't hallucinating.

In the video, the former CA governor said "bullshit" more than once. Each time he did, the English subtitles showed the word as: bullsh t. There was no attempt to clear up the audio. Apparently, the hearing impaired don't like swearing.

This next example I do have a link. Louie CK was a guest on Conan O'Brien's TBS late night talk show. Louie talked a bit about the upcoming election. He dropped F-bombs and S- bombs, which were all censored. Viewers knew he was swearing, but we just couldn't hear it.

He reached the punchline and said, "If you vote for Hillary, you're an adult. If you vote for Trump, you're a sucker. If you don't vote you're an asshole."

"Asshole" went uncensored. Weird.

Blowing My Own Horn

Sometimes a blind squirrel find a nut. And sometimes I say something smart. At the MN Skeptics meet-up last week, a skeptic asked, "If you know something who can't get sleep. They've tried doctors and all their remedies and none of them worked. The science had ruled out anything seriously, physically wrong with her. No brain tumor, etc. Then she gets acupuncture and she sleeps like a baby. Yes, we know it's the placebo effect, but why should a skeptic feel compelled to ruin it for her? She's tried science and there was no deeper physical problem found, but the not science is working."
 
The group of us batted it around and it struck me. The problem isn't that his friend uses the not science after trying science, which didn't work, but the not science does. The problem is when she tells someone else who is having sleeping problems. She'll immediately advise the acupuncture and her friend might skip consulting an actual doctor.
 
My fellow skeptic declared me a genius and that I was brilliant. He kept saying how I must be the smartest person of all time. It got a bit much to be honest.  

Movie Recommendation: Not A Movie, But This...



I blogged about one of my favorite parts of those early years of Late Night with David Letterman. Go here to read my effusion.

Music heard on the show...
 
Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'This Charming Man' by The Church & 'Destination Unknown' by Missing Persons
Second ad break bumpers: 'Running On The Spot' by The Jam & 'After The Lights Go Out' by Urban Guerrillas
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment