6.18.2017

dimland radio 6-17-17 show notes

An Opportunity To Be A Good Neighbor

A neighbor had a significant part of a tree in his front yard the other morning. That presented me with an opportunity to be Good Neighbor Jim. But did I take advantage of the opportunity? 

Maybe.

It Then Became A Pretty Heavy Show

The entire show didn't wallow in the heaviness of recent events, but a good portion of it did. Before I got to the heavy stuff, I talked about some heavy thunderstorms that came through the Twin Cities and of a photograph taken of the storm by one of the Minnesota Skeptics. You can see and maybe even buy a print of that photo here. And as of this writing the image has been shared more than 37,000 times on the Facebook.

This past week saw Congressional Republicans become victim to a mass shooter as they practiced for the annual Congressional baseball game; the jury return a not guilty verdict in the manslaughter case against Officer Yanez, the cop who shot dead Philando Castille; and an apartment building (or block of flats as they're called in the UK) known as Grenfell Tower completely engulfed in flames.

I couldn't do a show without saying something about each event.

In brief, I noted it would be interesting to see how the GOP deals with their support of gun ownership now that they've been the target of a lone nut. I also gave some advice to those who wish to see more gun regulations. I may not have been clear enough in my advice. What I suggested isn't what I want to be done. I was just advising that others need to be intellectually honest and go all out. Stop pussy-footing around.

I expressed my dumbfoundness at the not guilty verdict in the manslaughter trial of Officer Yanez. I realize that the public doesn't know everything the jury saw. We don't know what evidence they considered. It just seemed pretty clear cut.

Then there was the Grenfell Tower fire and the not surprising reaction by 9/11 Truthers. "See? That building didn't collapse. It was on fire for several hours. The Towers were built to withstand an impact by a 747, Building 7, blah, blah, blah."

The apartment in the UK was not built the same way. Dammit! Do I have to go through this all over again?!

I learned that building regulations enacted in 1971 in the UK made it so that Grenfell Tower, built in 1974, was constructed in such a way that it wouldn't collapse due to an explosion or major fire. 

Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: That's Not John Lennon 

One of those clickbait quizzes got something wrong. There was a quiz to determine which member of The Beatles you might be. I didn't take it, because whoever put it together didn't realize their posted image of John Lennon was not John Lennon. Dumbass.
This is not John Lennon. It's Christopher Eccleston portraying John Lennon.
Photoshop Is Used By Liars
 
I tried to give a brief tutorial on how to spot Photoshopped images shared on social media.

The lesson was prompted by this image of Whoopi Goldberg:
Those Aren't His Hands!
 
I talked some Star Trek: TNG. Specifically about Capt. Picard's story about how he came to own and play a particular flute and about an episode in which Picard develops a romantic relationship with a new member of his crew. She's happens to be a musician and she gets involved with her Captain musically as well as in the bedroom. Wink, wink. 

There's a scene in which they are playing music together and I think it's very obvious those  are not Patrick Stewart's, the actor who plays Picard, hands. There was a musician lying below camera and reaching up into the shot in order to make it look as though the Captain is actually playing a fairly complex melody.

It is ridiculously obviously. Not only because the angle of the hands isn't quite right, but because Stewart has to rely on eye acting for the scene. And he doesn't look convincing. He looks a bit hammy and really awkward.

Have a look.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Dodo/Lurker' by Genesis & 'Atom Tan' by The Clash
Second ad break bumpers: 'Down In The Siene' by The Style Council & 'Shut Out The Light' by Steve Diggle
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

1 comment: