6.04.2017

dimland radio 6-3-17 show notes

In Search Of Licorice Ice Cream

When I was a kid in the mid-70s, I used go to the Bridgeman's restaurant and ice cream parlor to get my favorite ice cream: Licorice chip. Oh, I liked it so much. Eventually, the Bridgeman's closed and licorice ice cream became just a pleasant memory.
 
In recent years, I would scour the internet to see if there was any of my favorite ice cream to be found around town. I didn't have much success until very recently.
 
I found Nelson's Ice Cream with two locations, one in Stillwater and one in St. Paul. The St. Paul parlor isn't far from the comic book store I do some work for each week. So, last weekend I got myself some licorice chip ice cream. It was pretty good.
 
Nelson's in also exceedingly generous with the amount of ice cream they consider to be a child's size, their smallest. There must be more than a pint of ice cream loaded into that cup or cone.
 
Holy smokes!

Pedantic Moment: Vague About In What Vehicle One First When Over 120 MPH

 
A Facebook friend shared the above image, but wasn't very clear that he meant in what kind of a car you first broke 120 MPH. He included the phrase "in a car" when he posted the image, but I thought he meant that as his answer. In the comment thread he was more specific.
 
I answered truthfully, "In an airplane." But that's not what he wanted. He wanted the model of car I was in. I don't know this fellow well enough to go all pedantic on him on Facebook, but for the show...

Is This Slut-Shaming?

Another Facebook friend shared the image above. My apologies for the naughty word.
 
I questioned whether or not this was slut-shaming. I pointed out there is certainly a bit of making fun of immigrants and a suggestion that Melania Trump is dumb. I contend anyone who can speak more than one language is not dumb. Melania can speak five!
 
I talked about the tendency to think the worst of people who are not in our group. That's what I see happening with the person who created the image and those who share it. Immigrants are to be welcomed and respected and cherished. Unless they are married to a Republican, of course.

Kathy Griffin, Free Speech, A Fake Severed Head, And President Trump
 
I'm a bit conflicted on this one. The part of me that wants people to act decently toward each other found the image of Kathy Griffin holding a severed head that looked like Pres. Trump's to be cruel, mean, shameful, and counter-productive. However, the free speech advocate in me appreciates the need for artists and comedians to push the limits of speech. They need to do this to protect free speech for all.
 
Griffin apologize, but should she have? 
 
It's a tangled web.
 
I also talked about this sort of image of the American President isn't exactly new.
 
And there was "covfefe." The typo heard and ridiculed around the world.
 
I also mentioned the cartoon (?) showing the political spectrum and the state of political discourse these days. See below.
 

Movie Recommendation: Live And Let Die (1973) & The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)

Roger Moore was my generation's James Bond. Dad had Sean Connery, but Moore was the first Bond I saw in the theaters. So, in memory of the recently deceased Roger Moore, I recommended my two favorite of his 007 films:
 
Live And Let Die
 
 
 
The Man With The Golden Gun
 
 

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Summer Fun' by The Barracudas & 'Love Like Blood' by Killing Joke
Second ad break bumpers: 'Uniforms (Corp D'Esprit)' by Pete Townshend & 'Too Much Love' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment