12.03.2017

dimland radio 12-2-17 show notes

More Mad Mike

I named Mad Mike Hughes a Dimland Radio Science Zero last week and talked about his intention to jump a California ghost town in a steam-powered rocket he made himself. But! The government stepped in and told him he needs to get the proper permits to perform his stunt. Mad Mike thought he had a new way to get around the permit problem by changing his launch and landing area to private land, but the Bureau of Land Management told him he still needs the proper permits.
 
As of this writing, the stunt has still not been performed. Stay tuned.
 
Dimland Radio Science Zero: A Few UK Water Companies

I had another Dimland Radio Science Zero to bestow this week. Two weeks in a row? Yep.
 
 
Sigh.
 
Pedantic Moment: Yeti DNA Used To Find Bigfoot?
 
One of the Minnesota Skeptics shared an article about scientists testing material claimed to be yeti DNA. Not surprisingly the DNA does not show those creatures are real. The pedantry was raised by how the headline was written:
 
"Scientists DNA tested nine 'yeti' samples. They didn't find Bigfoot."
 
Can you guess what I got pedantic about with that headline?
 
A Dimland Radio ARGH!

Of the non-skeptical, non-scientific ideas in the world few get my goat more than the anti-vax notion. Anti-vaxxers believe vaccines cause autism. They don't. Just try to convince an anti-vaxxer though.
 
Well, I spotted an image on Facebook indicating that as the number of vaccinations increased over the years, the number of autism diagnoses increased. They are making the correlation the vaccines are causing autism. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.
 
 
I decided to add a little something to that image and get that out on the internets. Please feel free to share it. 
 
OK, It May Not Be All Men, But Lately It Sure Seems Like It
 
I dove into this whole rash of sexual harassment and assault claims against famous men of power. I hope I didn't get in over my head, but I did voice my concerns over the lack of due process. I'm troubled by the way an accusation seems to be all that's needed to prove guilt. People's careers and lives are being turned upside down on the basis of accusations.
 
I brought up Pres. Bill Clinton and Justice Clarence Thomas, comparing the public's reactions to those accusations to today's accused fellows. I noted that at least one defender of Bill Clinton twenty years ago is today thinking that President maybe shouldn't have been defended and should have been forced to resign. 
 
It's a mess, but I remain hopeful that we as a society will come out of this being a better society.

The Artist Versus The Art
 
I talked about the difficulty of appreciating art by very flawed artists. I'm not certain I could give up the art of some of these artists. I even talk about the likelihood of not giving up the art of my favorite artist, Pete Townshend.
 
It's difficult.

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.

3) A YouTuber named Swede Mason has made a quite disturbing, but nonetheless cool, video mash-up of Talking Heads and Pres. Trump.
 
 
2) Dimland Radio's Facebook page was up to 189, now 190 as I write this.
 
1) Brian Dunning of the Skeptoid podcast is spearheading a crowd funding project to finance a documentary to expose how the media abuses and misrepresents science in the pursuit of ratings. If you have the means, I suggest you give this project your financial support.
 
Movie Recommendation: None
 
I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Tape Your Wife To The Ceiling' by The Suburbs & 'Heat Of The Moment' by Asia
Second ad break bumpers: 'Epic' by Faith No More & 'Public Highway' by Luxuria
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment