4.29.2018

dimland radio 4-28-18 show notes


It's Spring, Time For A Familiar Rant


The ducks have returned, the cat has stopped laying on my lap, and baseball is back.
 
Have I mentioned that I hate the NY Yankees? Yes. I know I have. But it's sort of a tradition on Dimland Radio. Besides with the MN Twins have just lost four in a row to the Evil Empire, I just couldn't help myself.

How Can You Tell Penn Jillette Is A Vegan?

I sidetracked before getting into my Pedantic Moment by voicing my concern about Penn Jillette's veganism. It has helped him lose a considerable amount of weight and, if we can take him at his word, which I do, his health is much improved.
 
It's just that on his excellent podcast he tends to talk about being a vegan and it gets a little tiresome. (Hmm, I should keep that in mind when it comes to mind talking about a certain greatest rock band in the world.) Well, it is his show and he can talk about whatever he wants.

A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Signs At The March For Our Lives Events

I don't want mass shootings happening anywhere, I think that's pretty much a given. Despite some of the rhetoric that gets tossed around, folks such as Ted Nugent and the NRA also don't want mass shootings either.
 
The March For Our Lives events of a month or so ago had thousands of people throughout America marching to make their voices heard about our country needing to do something to end gun violence. Exactly what? I don't know if there is any one thing that can be done.
 
But! I did see a few signs that I do know how to get all pedantic about.
 
Really? Where did you try buying that poster board?
Um. I'm pretty sure hunting schoolchildren is illegal.
Um. I'm pretty sure Heroin is illegal.
Those were the dumb ones. This next one is a bit more historically complicated. The 3/5 Compromise was a complicated move made in the early days of the American government. It mandated that 3/5 of the slaves be counting when determining population totals. It was a compromise that gave Southern (slave-holding) states greater representation in the Federal government, but not as much as would have been given had slaves been counted as full persons.
 
It was an anti-slavery move, but what would be its historical impact?
 
It's complicated.
And the last sign, I think, is pretty damn good. Whether or not an AR-15 would fire as many rounds in the time it takes to read the sign as it indicates is beside the point. It is very effective ad copy.
 
I count 39 bullet holes and it took 5 seconds to read. There's some math to be done here.
Three Cool Things


3) This is a very cool perspective of Devils Tower.

2) And then NASA gave us this awesome animated image of a comet that was study as part of the Rosetta mission.
 
1) The Foo Fighters like to pull a fan out of the crowd during live performances and have them play along with the band. They want a fan who can play guitar, at least, a little. Well, recently they got more than they bargained for when they brought "Kiss Guy" on stage.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'She's On It' by Beastie Boys & 'We Got The Beat' by The Go-Go's
Second ad break bumpers: 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' by The Police & 'Rat Patrol' by Naked Raygun
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment