8.11.2018

dimland radio 8-11-18 show notes


Back To Zero
 
Last week, I moved Penn Jillette from a Dimland Radio Science Zero to a Science Zero +0.5. Well, I took away the 0.5 points, because he just posted two more episodes featuring a food guru making scientifically dubious claims. This time it was Dr. Joel Fuhrman returning to promote his new book of extraordinary claims.

A Facebook friend posted his announcement that he would no longer listen to Penn's Sunday School and he reminded people of Penn's treatment of Yvette d'Entremont, SciBabe, when she was a guest and made the mistake of challenging Penn's veganism.
 
 
That was an aspect I meant to talk about last week, but I didn't get to it. So, on this show, I made time to talk about SciBabe's experience. She even posted a comment on my Facebook friend's comment thread. I read he comment on the show.

Penn is back to zero. I will probably continue to listen to his podcast. I'm sure he will come up with some way to hand wave away the criticism he's sure to get from the latest appearance of Fuhrman.

Listen to part one and two of SciBabe's appearance too see if you don't agree than Penn was far more skeptical of her than of his vegan guys. 

A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Paul McCartney And The SGU

On the August 4th edition of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe podcast Cara Santa Maria's 'What's The Word segment featured the word stylometry and a discussion on whether or not Paul McCartney wrote a particular Beatles' song that most fans think was written by John Lennon.

Well, I got all pedantic about it.

Except...

Well, you just have to listen to find out.

As Long As I was Talking About Paul McCartney Anyway
 

There's an excellent interview that Bob Costas conducted on his show Later with McCartney (see the Three Cool Things below) which is available on YouTube. In it is a segment in which Paul gives his feelings on using pop songs in commercial advertising. The interview is from 1991 and in those days his was against it. Although, he did leave the door open to the possibility of some day changing his mind.

Costas also brought up the fact that at that time King of Pop Michael Jackson owned the publishing rights to the Beatles' catalog. (Be aware! I go on a rant or two about Mr. Jackson, the timing of his death, and Farrah Fawcett.). I talk a little bit about Paul's reaction.

Three Cool Things

1) The monthly meet-up of the Minnesota Skeptics took place and that's always cool, even if that last half mile to get to the place is a pain in the ass.

2) That lost bin of art that was found by my wife a couple weeks ago is yielding more gems. There were two rather involved pencil drawings I did in art school 32 years ago that I think turned out pretty good, see below.


3) Paul McCartney makes the Three Cools Things a second week in a row. This time it's for that interview with Bob Costas. It's very cool.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Natural's Not In It' by Gang Of Four & 'One At A Time' by The Who
Second ad break bumpers: 'Certain Things Are Likely' by KTP & 'Keeping Looking' by Sade
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment