9.22.2018

dimland radio 9-22-18 show notes


Retiring "Wife Beater"

Last week, as I talked about the Universal Studios horror classic The Wolfman (1941), I described the undershirt worn by Lon Chaney Jr. during the first transformation scene as a "wife beater." That's an old term from a less enlightened time. A listener suggested it might be time to stop using the term. He's right.

Consider it retired.

Movie Night

Each Sunday night, for the last several weeks, my wife, son, and I come together as a family, turn off our devices, and watch a movie. It's very enjoyable and good to spend that time together. However, picking a movie can be tricky... 

The Decision Has Been Made, But...

Well, each of my suggestions for movie night were shot down. And I'm OK with that. But, let's pick something.

They picked Superbad (2007), a very, very, very raunchy comedy about two high school friends coming to terms with going their separate ways after years of friendship and dealing with raging hormones.

I try not to be a prude, but my son is 15 and...

Oh, Boy! More Blurry Lights!

A Facebook friend of mine has captured video of some UFOs. The images are very, very, very underwhelming. Are they alien spacecraft? Inter-dimensional beings in their inter-dimensional craft? Ghost orbs? Demons? Top secret military aircraft?

What could they be?
Blobs #1: Before zooming in.
Blobs #2: In full zoom.
Blobs #3: Blobs merging.
Blobs #4: Yawn.
Sky Lanterns: Litter, Fire Hazards, UFOs

I took a stab at what I thought those blobs of light might be and I came up with sky lanterns.

Sky lanterns are mini hot-air balloons made of plastic or paper and are often launched at weddings or some other celebrations. They float away shimmering and glowing into the night sky. They are so pretty.

They are also litter. They have to come down somewhere. And they are fire hazards. In 2011, sky lanterns were determined to have started a wildfire that burned 800 acres in Myrtle Beach, SC.

As of December, 2015, 29 states had banned sky lanterns. In early 2016, Nebraska became the 30th state to ban these possible explanations for some of the nighttime sightings of UFOs.

Which state do you think my friend lives in? A sky lantern free state or a sky lantern ban state?

More information at this link. 

It's Not True: Man-child President Trump's Double Fist Pump At A 9/11 Ceremony

I was caught be this one, too. The story of the picture is that the 5th Grader-in-Chief inappropriately did a double fist pump as he headed into a 9/11 Memorial Ceremony in Pennsylvania. Well, Snopes.com cleared up the confusion.

And you thought Snopes was just a leftist site set up to make Republicans look bad.
  
A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Another Not Very Profound Placard
Nice try, but...

I don't know what protest this young woman was at, but I do know the message on her sign is not nearly as profound as she thinks it is. In fact, it's kinda dumb.
I mean think about.

Three Cool Things
 
1) On YouTube there are several full length episodes of Sherlock Holmes adventures starring Jeremy Brett (here's one), whose portrayal of the great consulting detective is the best. I blogged about it here.

2) Also on YouTube are several video clips of the viewer mail segment from Late Night with David Letterman. So much fun to look back at a show that I rarely missed and had such an influence on me. Here's one. 

3) Homework time. Watch this short film by Adult Swim. It's funny and you will quickly come to understand why I think it's so cool. Watch it before next week's show, because I'll be talking about it.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'All Gone Away' by The Style Council & 'Help Me Somebody' by Brian Eno/David Byrne
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Don't Know' by Naked Raygun & 'Positive Vibrations' by The Soft Boys
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment