3.09.2019

dimland radio 3-9-19 show notes


Show 400!

Sure, it's arbitrary how we like big numbers that end in 0 or 5, but that's how we humans are. Sue us. 
 
This is the 400th Dimland Radio! It is also the nine year anniversary (or near enough) of the show first airing on Z Talk Radio. And it is now Z Talk Radio's longest running show!
 
Cool beans, eh?

Why She's The Girl At The Chain Store...

There's a young woman at a local convenience store whose eyes have that vacant stare thing going on. I don't want to make her self-conscious. I'm sure she's got plenty going on behind those eyes. She just reminded me of a couple super-models I had met.
 
She also had a message for me that caught me off guard.
 
Another Talk About Suspending My Disbelief

In order to enjoy just about any movie you watch, you have to be able to suspend your disbelief. But, sometimes a movie stretches credulity so far, it can't help but break.
 
I talk about two movies from 1990 and explain how I was able to go along with one, but the other was a bit too much. The movies? Total Recall and Die Hard 2.
 
Warning! I get rather worked up in this segment. My wife even got concerned.
 
And I weigh in on whether or not Die Hard is a Christmas movie. And I wonder why there isn't a similar debate about Die Hard 2.
 
A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Catching Up In A Movie Chase

In movies, when the plot calls for it, someone chasing another always seems to catch up not matter how much of a head start the another got. Sure, the chaser might be a faster runner, have a faster horse or car, but, in the case of Die Hard 2, just how did McClane catch up to the bad guys when they have a head start riding the same kind of snow mobile as our hero?
 
I give my idea on how it might have worked. Why didn't they ask me?
 
The Momo Challenge Is A Hoax
 
 
Much like the Blue Whale Challenge from not so long ago, the internets and news media was a buzz with concern that kids were joining in on a series of challenges that became increasingly dangerous ultimately leading to suicide. This one is called the Momo Challenge. It's accompanied by a creepy image of a Shelley Duvall from The Shining like character, which I had been seeing shared all over my Facebook feed.
 
"Would you like to play a game?"
Turns out that, just as with the Blue Whale Challenge, the Momo Challenge is a hoax. The kids ain't gullible enough to follow some app to suicide. But social media and the news media are gullible enough to think the kids would do it.
 
More on the story here.
 
Three Cool Things

1) I found another interesting podcast. This one comes from Rolling Stone magazine and it's called Rolling Stone Music Now. It's been around for a while and I'm picking through the shows that look interesting to me. It's cool.
      
1a) There's an interview of the great Pete Townshend, in which he says a new Who album will be released this year! That, if it happens, is very, very cool!
 
2) Through the Rolling Stone Music Now podcast I learned more about the remix versions of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's and White Album. The remixes were done by Giles Martin, Beatles' producer George Martins' son, and Giles brings a clarity to the sound that wasn't there before. It's cool!
 
3) Show 400! Nine years! Longest running show of Z Talk Radio!
 
And the not so skeptical were skeptical that the skeptic would last.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Y.O.Y.O.Y.' by Cheap Trick & '(The) Metro' by Berlin
Second ad break bumpers: 'Everyone A Puzzle Lover' by 10,000 & 'Absolute Beginners' by The Jam
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment