5.05.2019

dimland radio 5-4-19 show notes


Diagnosis: I'm Falling Apart

A pain in my thumb and wrist brought me to the doctor's office this past week. My nurse practitioner diagnosed it as De Quervain's tenosynovitis. She's suggested a couple stretching exercises and she also pointed out that it appears I have arthritis in my hands. Couple those items with the arthritis in my lower back and she concluded, "You're just falling apart." 
 
Sigh.

I Practice What I Preach 

On Dimland Radio, I frequently talk about the importance of vaccination. Well, I don't just talk a good game, I get my vaccinations. While I was learning of my decreptitude, I took the opportunity to get my shingles vaccination.
 
The shot went fine, but there was some soreness in my shoulder for a few days and I felt a bit flu-ish the next two days, but both discomforts cleared up and were relatively minor. A little discomfort is far better than getting shingles.
 
And in a couple months I'll get the second dose of the vaccine. Well, a little more discomfort will still be worth it.

Anti-vaxxers And The Brady Bunch

I learned of an interesting tactic the anti-vaxxers have adopted to downplay the need for the measles vaccine. They point to an episode of the stupid, family-friendly TV sit-com The Brady Bunch.
 
There's an episode from 1969 in which all six of those adorable urchins get infected with measles and it's treated as a vacation with a minor annoyance. The anti-vaxxers say the episode realistically shows how the illness is no big deal. Yep, a series that was such an accurate depiction of real life, who can blame them...
 
The show was shit and depicted the real world about as well as The Flintstones.
 
Get your kids vaccinated. And yourselves, too!
 
A Few Thoughts About The Breakfast Club

One of my favorite podcasts is Stuck in the 80s. If you haven't heard it and you're stuck in the 80s I suggest you check it out.
 
Well, on a recent episode they mentioned the John Hughes' classic The Breakfast Club. That mention got me thinking about my reactions when seeing that movie way back in 1985. I liked it then, but I was bothered by a couple few things...

One Cool Thing 
 
You have to listen through the closing of the show to get to this cool thing. I realized the show was ending at under an hour this week, so I potted up the microphone and told the story of how a Facebook friend helped out a stranger in need.
 
I thought what he did was simple, but so kind and helpful. And cool.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Teacher, Teacher' by Rockpile & 'Nothing Turns Out Right' by The Mighty Mofos
Second ad break bumpers: 'Entre Nous' by Rush & 'Erica's Word' by Game Theory
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment