6.09.2019

dimland radio 6-8-19 show notes


A Dimland Radio ARGH!

Neighbors. Most are just fine. Quiet. They take care of their properties. They wave. Maybe stop to say hello.
 
Then there are the assholes who don't give a shit about any of that. We have such a neighbor. He's the loud car guy I mentioned on the show a couple weeks back. In fact, we heard the loud car on one of the shows. Also in fact, he and the several other people who reside in his house own several cars. We think there are 10 or 11 cars connected to that house. No, he doesn't have an 11 car garage.
 
The cars are parked all over the place. And that's what led to an interesting encounter between loud car guy and his next door neighbor: An actual round of fisticuffs.
 
And I was at work when it all happened. ARGH!

Cool Thing #1: Air conditioner!

For the last five or six summers, the AC unit at the office had been slowly dying. Last summer it had stopped working altogether. It was just a loud fan.
 
I had attempted last summer to convince my boss to buy a new one. I researched, I complied a list of possibles at affordable prices, I sent it to the boss's wife (she controls the spending), but that just wasn't enough. I sat sweating all summer.
 
This year I started the process again. Again the feet of the boss's wife seemed to be dragging.
 
Enter my younger brother. He had a spare AC. The rest is pretty cool! Literally.

Left Lane Slowpokes Need To Move Over

The state of Minnesota has passed a law requiring slower traffic to keep right on the freeways. I learned long ago that if I'm driving in the left hand lane and a driver behind me wants to go faster than me, even if I'm speeding, I get out f the way.
 
On my Facebook page, my posting of this story and my comment mirroring what I said above, drew some cantankerous response. There was a bit of a back and forth debate, but I realized we weren't really in disagreement... 

Cool Thing #2: Keith Moon Article
 
Written by a musician, this article in The New Yorker from 2010 gives an intriguing take on the crazy awesomeness of the manic drumming of the best Keith Moon-style drummer in the world - Keith Moon.
 
It's cool!
 
Don't Declaw 'Em, Don't Keep 'Em Outside
 
A BBC article on the barbarity of declawing cats (and New York state's recent banning of the practice), a practice that is unthinkable in the UK, had a decided "aren't Americans awful" tone. But, as much as I dislike the practice of declawing, I really dislike the barbaric practice of allowing your cat to roam free outdoors. That's something the UKians really enjoy.
 
They'll say it's good for the cats to be free to practice their natural behavior. They'll say cooping cats up indoors will harm their psychological well-being.
 
Well, cats that part time pet owners allow outdoors face: Predators, cars, and feline (I mistakenly said female, whoops) viruses. Those were covered in the article with it making sure to note the predation was a bigger problem in the US.

However, the article neglected to mention: Fights with other cats or with dogs, parasites, infections, being stolen, tortured, or poisoned, and pregnancy. They didn't mention the damage cats can do to neighbors' property. The screen on my porch door got shredded by an outdoor cat trying to get at my indoor cat.

And the article also neglects to mention the damage outdoor cats do to biodiversity. Cats kill approximately 2.4 BILLION birds each years in the US alone.

So, you tell me. Both practices are barbaric, but which seems worse for the cat, the neighbors, and the birds?
 
Cool Thing #3: This Photograph

More pink than I expected.
The internet provided this cool thing. It was shared on Facebook: A color photograph (above) showing the living room set of the 60s TV comedy The Addams Family. I believe it is an actual color photo and not a colorized image. I hope I'm right because it is damn cool.
 
The 75th Anniversary Of D-Day And A Crazy Thing A Conspiracy Theorist Said

I had done a drawing (above) in honor of D-Day and posted it on Facebook. It was greeted by an interesting thought about what was really going on on D-Day. Oh, boy.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Me And Sarah Jane' by Genesis & 'Red Rain' by Peter Gabriel
Second ad break bumpers: 'If Hollywood Don't Need You' by Don Williams & 'Generals And Majors' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment