9.15.2019

dimland radio 9-14-19 show notes


Cool Thing #1: New(ish) Who Song!

I must apologize for attempting to sing in this segment, but I didn't have clips of songs to play. Sorry.
 
Imagine my excitement when Friday morning I saw that my favorite band had released a "new" song. It is a new Who song, but it's a cover of a solo Pete Townshend song which he had released in 2015. I explained this was not the first time for there to be a Who version of a solo Townshend song, demos notwithstanding.
 
I like the Who version a little more than Townshend's. That where my attempt to sing comes in to demonstrate the growliness of Townshend's older voice. I don't know if he puts the growl on or if his aged vocal cords give him no choice but to sing that way.
 
I give a brief history of other Who songs released after 2000:
 
Real Good Looking Boy (2004)
 
Old Red Wine (2004)
 
Be Lucky (2014)
 
Ball And Chain (2019)
 
Solo Townshend songs since 2000:
 
Guantanamo (2015)The original version of The Who's Ball And Chain
 
How Can I Help You (2015)
 
If you think there was a lot of talk about The Who for this song, wait until the new album drops in November! Heh heh heh. 

A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: University Avenue And The Twin Cities

My wife Amy suggested I listen to the true crime podcast produced in Australia called Casefile. It sounded intriguing as she described it, so I did. It's pretty good, but my pedantry kicked in when they profiled the Weepy Voiced Killer. I realize this pedantry might be a bit on the eye-rolling side, but that's pedantry for you.
 
The show can be forgiven since it is produced in Australia that the host, who is anonymous by the way, doesn't know how University Avenue is situated in relation to to Twin Cities. He describes it as splitting the two cities with St. Paul on one side and Minneapolis on the other. That's not how it runs. University Avenue runs through then Twin Cities, not between them.
 
Paper Straws

I had my first experience (at least an adult, but I can't remember back that far) with drinking a soda through a paper straw. Paper straws are becoming more common as a measure to protect the environment and turtles. The paper kind are biodegradable and less likely to end up choking out turtles.
 
That's good I guess, but...

Cool Thing #2: Network Television Brightened Harry Potter
 
The other evening NBC was playing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and I noticed something: I could see what was going on!
 
On the DVD version the Battle of Hogwarts scene, in which Lord Voldemort and his Death-Eaters and other magical beings attack the fabled school, is damned dark. I adjust the brightness level, but that doesn't help much. The darkness makes it difficult to see details. You can still tell what's going on, but it is a little frustrating.
 
NBC must have felt that same frustration and brighten the movie. Doing such did bring out missing details, but it also tended to flatten the look of the movie and expose some of the flaws in the CGI effects that had been hidden by darkness.
 
Cool Thing #3: Helena Bonham Carter
 
Helena Bonham Carter is a terrific actor. I don't think she gets enough notice for how good she is and in Deathly Hallows Part 2 she really shows why she's so good. In the scene in which Harry, Ron, Griphook, and Hermione as Bellatrix LeStrange (if you don't know Harry Potter, I'm not going to explain it to you - sorry) make their way into Gringott's bank, Helena really shines.
 
She is playing Hermione as Bellatrix and you absolutely see the mannerisms of actor Emma Watson in Bonham Carter's performance. In the scene of the group gathering on the beach to apparate to Diagon Alley (again, I'm not going to explain) as Bellatrix (really Hermione) approaches the group you swear it's Watson, but it's Bonham Carter. Incredible!
 
Links below:
 
This video has several Bellatrix moments including the Hermione as Bellatrix moments. Note the excellence. Spoilers! And in this you can see how dark the films are.
 
Behind the scenes with Helena Bonham Carter.
 
Seinfeld, Corbert, And Cosby And Separating The Artist From The Art

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld recently appeared on The Late Show With Stephen Cobert promoting his new Netflix comedy special - Jerry Before Seinfeld. The conversation turned toward Jerry's influences and Bill Cosby was discussed. Cosby contribution to comdey cannot be denied, but can his work still be viewed in light of what the world learned about the man.
 
Seinfeld had no problem separating the work from the man, the art from the artist. Cobert can't. There was a brief and interesting discussion. After the commercial bring, Jerry had changed his position...
 
Interview part one here and part two here.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'OK Wait' by Naked Raygun & 'Uncertain Smile' by The The
Second ad break bumpers: 'Rusholme Ruffians' by The Smiths & 'English Roundabout' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment