5.02.2010

dimland radio 5-1-10 show notes

Hey! Dave Servo, my friend and fellow skeptic, actually tuned in this week!

Correction

Last week I had talked about the Immaculate Conception and how the term refers to the Virgin Mary, not Jesus. It's a Catholic concept that many people get wrong. I then said that Jesus wasn't born without sin. Apparently, he was. I made a call to a local church to talk this over with a priest, but one wasn't available. I left a message and will try to talk to him during the week. I'll let you know on my next show.

In the line of duty

I talked about a Maplewood (suburb of St. Paul, MN where I live) police officer had been ambushed and shot to death. This doesn't happen very often here in Minnesota, thankfully.

When you see a police officer in your part of the world, remember what those men and women in blue are willing to do for us every time they suit up.

Read more about it here.

No Santas in our house

My nearly seven year-old son, Hayden, and I were talking Saturday morning, when the subject of Santa came up. You know me, I'm a skeptic, so I asked him how Santa does all that work in one night. Hayden thought about it and realize that there was no Santa. Partly because of the logistics, but also because reindeer can't fly and don't have red noses.

That's my boy.

Curious story of man from India

There's a fellow in India who claims he hasn't had anything to eat or drink for 70 years. Sure he hasn't.

You can read more about it here.

Noah's Ark found

Wait a minute! There really was a Noah's Ark? Really? I mean, really? No, probably not.

You can read about it here and here.

Jenny McCarthy's hero found guilty

Andrew Wakefield, the "scientist" who headed a study that suggested a link between vaccines and autism, thereby starting all the hysteria about the dangers of vaccinations and launching Jenny McCarthy's career as a medical expert, has been found guilty of acting unethically while conducting his research. Research that has been completely discredited by good science.

My source was May/June 2010 issue of the Skeptical Inquirer. On newsstands now.

$9.20 a gallon of gas in Alaska?!

Well, yes, sort of. On Morning Coffee the other morning, I heard about Alaskans paying that extremely inflated price for gas. It didn't seem right. I did a quick Google and found that the $9.20 price effected one small town in Alaska, McGrath, not the entire state. I thought it would be a good idea to clarify to prevent misinformation being spread.

You can read about it here
.

Michael Shermer's talk on skepticism

I made a quick mention of a video by Michael Shermer, publisher of Skeptic magazine. The video is an intro to the concept of skepticism. It's excellent!

Watch the video here.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Here Is The News' by ELO & 'Earn Enough For Us' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Columbus' by The Church & 'Another Tricky Day' by The Who
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next week for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk On Demand page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment