5.16.2010

dimland radio 5-15-10 show notes

The chat room wasn't very full, but I did a show anyway.

This old house

I started off boring my listeners with the tale of our replacing two windows in our kitchen. They needed replacing. They were quite nasty. I also talked about my peculiar habit of putting a plastic toy soldier inside a construction area, so that it's hidden away. I like the idea of the hidden toy soldiers. Peculiar, I know.

Man in coma still ain't talking

Rom Houben, a Belgian man, has been in a coma for 23 years. Some news was made recently when it was said that he woke and started talking. Well, not exactly. He told his tale through a communications facilitator. Right there you should have your skeptical red flag waving. It turns out that it's far more likely that the facilitator was doing all the talking and poor Rom is still comatose.

Read Michael Shermer's take on this here.

I also talked a bit about the 2007 film, 'The Diving Bell and The Butterfly'. It's somewhat related and it's available at Netflix. Sign up!

Pringles ad explains crop circle

I haven't seen the ad yet, but 'Skeptical Inquirer's' Ben Radford wrote a piece about it. The ad depicts a group of young people having a great time eating Pringles and making crop circles. Apparently, the way they are shown making the circles is exactly the way that phenomenon is produced. Believers will scoff, but what seems more likely? Super intelligent extraterrestrials travel the vast expanse of space or some beings from another dimension to make patterns in crop fields, OR some people take boards and ropes out to a wheat field and make nifty crop circles? Sharpen up your Occam's razor everyone.

Arrrrrr Mythbusters be doin' it again

Then I talked about the Mythbusters looking into the myth of why pirates would wear eye patches. Not because of a missing or damaged eye, but, as the myth went, it was meant to keep that one eye accustomed to the dark. They tested it and it's true! The covered eye was much bettered suited for seeing in the dark.

Here's part of that show on the YouTube.

Hodgepodge

I finish up talking about The X-Files, Jaws, Legend of Hell House, The Blair Witch Project and how not seeing the shark, ghost or whatever makes it even scarier.

I also talked a bit about the new series of Dr. Who. I really like the Doctor as played by Christopher Eccleston and I'm just getting to see the episodes with the next actor, David Tennant. Not sure about him yet.

I touched on the old Columbo show too.

Correction

I misspoke when talking about the old Columbo episodes and how the same actors would keep coming back to play murderers. I meant to say Jack Cassidy, but instead I said Jack Kennedy. Cassidy was an actor, Kennedy was a President. Whoop, whoop.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'I Got You' by Split Enz & 'Life's What You Make It' by Talk Talk
Second ad break bumpers: 'O.K. This Is The Pops' by Tones On Tail & 'Fall On Me' by REM
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next week for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk On Demand page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment