7.04.2010

dimland radio 7-3-10 show notes


234 years-old! That's how old the US of A is today and it doesn't look a day over 215.

Fireworks Part 1

This edition of Dimland Radio started with some fireworks. No, not any controversy for which I'll late have to apologize. No, I mean actual 4th of July style fireworks. My wife and son and I don't need to head to some park to see a nice fireworks display. Nope, all we have to do is head out to the front yard and watch the neighbors launch theirs.

George Hrab's 'Trebuchet' Part 2

Last week, I introduced my audience to George Hrab and his new album 'Trebuchet'.

He's a skeptic, an atheist, a podcaster and, most of all, he's a musician. George Hrab has a new album out. It's called 'Trebuchet' and it's pretty darned good. He's an unsigned artist who wants to get this, his sixth, album out there. He posted the entire album on his podcast, but he's also selling it. You can download it at cdbaby.com and iTunes. You can also buy an actual CD from cdbaby.com
My copy is on it's way.You can listen to George's podcast here or download it from iTunes. Be warned, he swears a bunch and he's very skeptical. However, he's also very entertaining. I'm gonna see if I can get him on my show.

And, as in last week's show, I played selected tracks from his album. With his permission, of course. I played two songs about death! I played 'Death From The Skies' and 'Small Comfort'.

UK's libel laws put to the test

Libel laws in the UK are way messed up. In the States, if someone brings a libel suit against an individual, the burden of proof is on the accuser. In the UK, the person being accused must prove they didn't libel the accuser. That's just wrong. In the UK's libel laws, the presumption of innocence does not exist.

Simon Singh, a science writer, wrote an opinion piece about chiropractic. He opined that some of the claims made by chiropractors, such as being able to treat colic and asthma, are "bogus". That comment lead to the British Chiropractic Association (BCA) filing a libel suit against Mr. Singh.

In April 2010, the BCA dropped its lawsuit. But not until after much attention was paid out how backward UK's libel laws are. Hopefully this will lead to a greater victory for the freedom of speech and get the UK to change its laws. People should have the right to voice their opinions, right or wrong, without fear of be sued.

You can read more about it here.

Fireworks Part 2

I related the story of how two friends and I used to drive all the way from St. Paul to South Dakota to purchase then illegal (and still illegal) fireworks. We would buy the big firecrackers along with some pretty display stuff. And I mean big! M80s and M200s. They go boom! One year, we had some fun blowing up a Coleman cooler. What a blast!

Movie recommendation


This week I recommended the 1990 action/thriller 'The Hunt For Red October'. It is one of my all time favorite films. I think Sean Connery is terrific as the rogue sub captain determined to defect.

I mentioned the line in the film James Earle Jones utters when he first sees Alec Baldwin, playing Jack Ryan. He said, "Jesus! You look like hell!" No, he didn't! He looked like the young, thin, good looking, leading man, Alec Baldwin. If that's looking like hell...

Alec Baldwin looking like hell

Now if that film had been made with Alec Baldwin as he looks today, well, then I would agree.

It's a great film. Put it in your Netflix queue now!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Only You' by Yaz & 'The Meeting Place' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'King Volcano' by Bauhaus & 'Institutionalized' by Suicidal Tendencies
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk On Demand page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment