7.01.2010

how can an all sports talk format possibly work?


Boring.

That’s one word for it. An all sports talk radio format gets to be exceedingly dull. The repetitive nature of the format gets to be so tedious that I groan in disgust and turn it off. I don’t know how this format can be profitable. I like sports, but I don’t want to talk about it all day.

A local talk radio station, after drifting in the direction of an all sports format from a right wing political talk format from some time, became ESPN Radio earlier this year. I used to listen much more often to the political talk some years ago, but, sometime after the 2004 Presidential election, I began to listen less and less. The station also started moving away from the political talk format at about that same time. I guess both the station and I were getting tired of the political polarization that had been going on.

But an all sports format? Who are the people who can’t get enough talk about Ben Roethlisberger’s restroom activities, the NBA Playoffs, and, lately, LeBron James. Oh, man. It doesn’t seem I can get through five minutes without hearing LeBron James mentioned 2,687 times. Ok, a bit of hyperbole.

By now you’re asking, “Why are you listening to it then?”

I’m not listening that much. It’s the station that is set on all my radios from the old political talk days and I’m lazy. I don’t want to switch them or try to find something else to listen to. Besides, the MN Twins are on that station and I will listen to their games on occasion. So, it stays on the ESPN Radio and it wakes me up in the morning.

7:10am radio alarm sounds…

“Today, LeBron James went for a walk. Is LeBron James thinking of leaving Cleveland while Lebron James is taking that walk? Will LeBron James say what LeBron James is planning on doing in Lebron James’ future at Lebron James’ press conference? And later, we’ll talk to Ben Roethlisberger and get his thoughts on restroom etiquette and LeBron James. That’s coming up on ESPN Radio. Lebron James.”

Booooooring.

No comments:

Post a Comment