8.08.2010

dimland radio 8-7-10 show notes

There were a couple of weird iTunes glitches, but I powered through...

Correction

I made a minor correction from last week's show. When talking about how old the universe is, I said it was 13.72, but I neglected to say 13.72 what. Well, it's 13.72 BILLION years-old, give or take.

Ultimate story of a lazy co-worker... ruined

We all have worked with a self-important, always pretending to be busy, narcissistic jerk. You know the type. I told the ultimate story of one such co-worker, oh it was a good one. However, I had to go and ruin it. I had to tell everyone that this fellow had been recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. Bummer.

It was a good story though.

By the way, the old adage states that if you can't think of a co-worker of the type I described above, you're probably the jerk.


Another date for the end of the world! Everyone panic!


Some group of the-end-of-times type Christians are claiming to know exactly when God will destroy the world. It's gonna be 10-21-11! Better cash out those 401Ks, everyone!

Read about this silliness here. And we'll see you 10-22-11.

It's Not True


This week I talked about the popular myth that slaves build the pyramids of Egypt. Evidence shows that workers may have been drafted to work on them for a set period of time, but they were not slaves. There is evidence that the builders were well cared for and that they took pride in their work.

Read about this myth here.


In Search Of...


I didn't get to everything I had intended to in this segment. I guess it was more of a whetting of the appetite for next week's show. I'll talk more about this granddaddy of the "true" paranormal TV shows.

Movie recommendation

It was released in 1974, one of a series of the disaster movies that were some popular at the time. 'The Towering Inferno' is chock full of 70's tacky goodness, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen and a very tall building on fire. I talked a bit about the back story on the dispute as to who would get top billing and the unique solution.

Put it in your Netflix queue now!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'I Bought Myself A Liarbird' & 'Mayor of Simpleton' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Vanishing Girl' & 'My Love Explodes' by The Dukes of Stratosphear
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment