8.01.2010

dimland radio 7-31-10 show notes

I'm going to start making my show notes a little shorter. If you want a more fleshed out version, listen to my show!

Cold Open Rant

Before I even played the opening to the show I went on to rant about how much I disliked the movie musical 'Chicago'. He had it coming! He had it coming! He had it coming! ARRRRGGGHH!

Speaking Minnesohtan

Inspired by Z Talk regular, Winnie and her ability to do various accents, including the Minnesotan accent, I brushed off my Minnesohtan. I'm pretty good at it, but I'm a life long Minnesotan, so I guess I have an advantage. I told the story of a trip to Wyoming and the needling received for the accent.

It's Not True


This week I talked about the popular myth that people only use 10% of the brain. We use 100% of our brain. Our brain is always active, even when sleeping. Think about it... if we only use 10% of our brain we could remove the unused 90% and we'd be fine, right?

It's not true. Read about this myth here.

Phil Plait's "Don't be a dick" speech at TAM8

I wasn't at The Amaz!ing Meeting 8 (TAM8) in Las Vagas this year. In fact, I've never been to the largest yearly gathering of skeptics. Maybe someday. And since I wasn't at TAM8 I missed Phil Plait's speech on changing the tone that has creeped into the skeptical movement. He advised skeptics to avoid being dicks toward believers.

Much of his speech and one blogger's reaction can be found here.
You can find Phil Plait's blog here.

Movie recommendation

This week I recommended the 1997 sci-fi film, 'Contact'. The film is based on Carl Sagan's novel of the same name. The story is of how it would happen and what might happen if we humans make contact with an intelligent alien lifeform. The subject is handled in an intelligent and scientifically plausible way. I was intrigued by it's comment on taking things on faith. And it's opening sequence is breathtakingly beautiful.

Put it in your Netflix queue now!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Washaway' by XTC & 'Summer Fun’ by The Barracudas
Second ad break bumpers: 'OK Wait' by Naked Raygun & 'Destination Unknown' by Missing Persons
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment