9.12.2010

dimland radio 9-11-10 show notes

As promised on last week's show, I had a guest!

Guest: Todd Allen Gates

Ok, I didn't exactly promise I'd have a guest, I said that if we could get it scheduled for recording I'd have Todd Allen Gates on the 9/11 edition of Dimland Radio. It turned out that we could get everything prepared , so Todd did, in fact, appear on the show. I think it was a good conversation about religion, the Bible and God. Our conversation centered on the themes of his book 'Dialogue With A Christian Proselytizer' (he's holding the book in the photo above), which can be purchased from Amazon.com. Check out the reviews of his book there, but, as Todd advises, read the five star reviews, those are the best written ones.

I need to clarify something (yes, again) in last week's show notes I
had said that Todd Allen Gates, who is an atheist, had been a Christian. Well, not really. He wasn't very religious even while young. Like a lot of atheists, he had some beliefs as a child but began to lose those fairly early on.

Here's a link to one of his YouTube videos. He has nearly 100 videos on the YouTube, you can get to his channel here. I highly recommend his stuff.


Movie recommendation

In the remaining moments of my show, I combined the 9th anniversary of 9/11 with this week's movie recommendation. Yep, it's been nine years, hard to believe, eh? I talked about my tradition of marking the day on my blog with a series of photographs of people I thank for helping to keep another such attack from happening here in America. (Scroll down and you'll see what I mean.)

So, the movie I recommended was 'United 93'. The 2006 film depicts the events that surrounded the one flight that day where the passengers fought back. The film is very intense and will shake you to the core, so be prepared if you watch it. It also includes many of the actual people who had been involved that day.

Put in your Netflix queue now.

And! This is exciting!

A couple weeks back I did a segment on the loss of 'At The Movies', the movie review show started by Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert way back in 1975 on PBS. The show was canceled, but a friend called me the afternoon before my show to tell me Roger Ebert is bringing it back!

Well, sort of. He's working with PBS again to produce a movie review show that will start up in January. Thank Roger! I have a reason to keep living (other than my family and the fact the I want to live, of course). Read more about it here. I give this news thumbs u... Wait! I can't do that, Roger holds the copyright on the thumbs up/down thing.

Oh, what the hell?! Thumbs WAY up!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'That's Entertainment' by The Jam & 'All You Pretty Girls' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Heaven's Falling' by Cheap Trick & 'Month of Sundays' by The Church
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment