9.19.2010

dimland radio 9-18-10 show notes

Twins win! Twins win!

Cold open: Twins talk

I went with a lengthy cold open to doing some talk about my Minnesota Twins. I related how excited I am about what looks like another AL Central division championship. And I took the opportunity (it's my show) to reminisce about our 1987 and 1991 World Champion teams.



We have colds

After going on about the Twins for 20 minutes, I finally started the show with a little talk about the annual event that occurs mere days after school starts. Hayden, my son, gets sick. Yep, after eight days of school he brought home a cold. At least, he shared his cold with my wife and me. He's such a generous boy.

Ten Minute Topic with Chris Brown


The second installment of TMT was the first of a two part talk about weight loss and obesity. Chris Brown talked about his battle with weight and what he's found really works. It's pretty simple: increase amount of calories burned each day to more than the amount calories taken in and you will lose weight. For most cases it is just that simple.

Next week will be part two and we'll talk more about obesity.


It's Not True

The Amityville Horror house, looks pretty innocent to me.

The untrue item this time? The Amityville Horror, which by now it ought to be common knowledge that the whole story was made up. But, pop culture being what it is, there are still a lot of people out there who still believe that the Lutz's story is real. It's not.

You can read more about it at Snopes.com and at Brian Dunning's Skeptoid.

Movie recommendation

I pulled this week's movie recommendation off of my all time favorite movie list. In fact, you could say this IS my all time favorite movie. It's the 1942 Warner Brothers' classic, 'Casablanca'. The fantastic WWII era romance and war-time intrigue starring the great Humphrey Bogart.

I talked about some of the back story on how the film was made. It wasn't thought to be the great film it turned out to be during production. Warner Brothers released a movie a week in those days and 'Casablanca' was just one of that year's 50 releases. However, the movie was a hit, it won the Best Picture Oscar and became Warner Brothers' signature film.

Oh, when I was listing that cast I couldn't think of the actor who played Sam the piano player. I thought it was Sam Dooley, but then I realized that was wrong. I still couldn't think of his name and I had to check the interwebs to find it. The actor was Dooley Wilson. I was close.

Put in your Netflix queue now.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Is It A Crime' by Sade & 'Tony's Theme' by Pixies
Second ad break bumpers: 'No Reply At All' by Genesis & 'Eighties' by Killing Joke
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

2 comments: