9.26.2010

dimland radio 9-25-10

With my son leaning on my side, I put up this week's show notes.

Controversy!

Last week's show stirred up a little controversy with one listener in the chat room. It was during Ten Minute Topic with Chris Brown, when Chris talked about the science on weight loss being essentially burn more calories each day than you take in and you will lose weight. The listener objected when Chris suggested the all diets are a variation of that theme.

Well, try as I might, I couldn't find any diet that didn't follow that theme. The Atkins Diet might be less concerned with caloric intake, so that may be one, but I'm not sure. Would that be the exception that proves the rule?

Anyway, Chris' exact statement was, "Every diet out there is a variation on that theme, if it's going to work." I think the listener may have missed the part where Chris said, "...if it's going to work." When talking about what works in dieting for the majority, as Chris was, I don't think that statement is inaccurate.

WebMD has 24 tips to losing weight without dieting here.
ABC News' online has an article about the Atkins Diet here. And I told of a young woman who cannot gain weight no matter how much she eats. You can watch the Today Show report here.

Ten Minute Topic with Chris Brown


This was part two of Chris and I talking about weight loss and obesity. I did a little more talking in this TMT than I had before. We talked about my personal, unscientific observation of kids in my son's school. I wondered where all the fat kids were. We also got into the ridiculousness of the Body Mass Index and how just about everyone is fat according to that measuring stick. And we touched on the buff dudes and dudettes in the movies.

Jump the shark

Some years ago, pop culture enthusiasts/critics came up with a phrase to describe the moment a good and popular TV show goes bad. It's called 'jumping the shark'. The phrase was inspired by the very popular series, 'Happy Days'. I don't agree with the timing of when 'Happy Days' jumped the shark, I think it was much earlier.

I also talked about single camera sitcoms and sitcoms which use three cameras
. I prefer the single camera, because I think the writing for those shows is better, not relying on an audience to supply the laughs.

I also mentioned the newer phrase 'nuking the fridge'. The phrase comes from 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'.

You can check out TV Guide's site dedicated to the jumping the shark phenomenon here.

Movie recommendation (TV division)

Seeing as how I was talking about my preference for single camera sitcoms, I deviated from my movie recommendation to recommend a TV series you should check out. It's 'Arrested Development' and it was brilliant. It was a Fox sitcom that lasted only three seasons, because it just couldn't find an audience. It did however earn critical acclaim and Emmy awards and, most importantly, my stamp of approval.

Put in your Netflix queue now.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Younger Girls' by Cheap Trick & 'Voices Carry' by 'Til Tuesday
Second ad break bumpers: 'Strange' by REM & 'Under Cover of the Night' by The Rolling Stones
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment