9.05.2010

dimland radio 9-4-10 show notes

The coolest thing about this show was having three old friends show up in the chat room to listen and chat. One from high school, one from art school, and one from one of my art jobs after art school. I only knew one of them was there as I started the show. I found out about the other to after I was off the air.

It's Not True

I started the show with an installment of "It's Not True" which focused on the urban legend of the vanishing hitchhiker. I read two versions of the tale from my favorite book from the days of my youth, 'Strangely Enough!' by C. B. Colby. Both stories involved lone women being picked on the side of road, at night, and at some point disappearing from the car. The fellows who gave the lift to the vanishing hitchers later find out that the mysterious women had been dead for years.

It's not true. These types of stories go way back. Read more about them here.

Clarification

I needed to clarify something I had said about last week's 'Ten Minute Topic with Chris Brown'. I said that Chris had studied under Bart Ehrman. That is a bit misleading. Chris has read Erhman's books and followed his radio appearances and listened to the Biblical scholars lectures, but Chris was never a student of Ehrman's.

My son goes to the MN State Fair...without us!


The day of this show, my son, Hayden, went to the MN State Fair with his friend Lily's family. They picked him up at 8:30 in the morning and brought him home close to 10:00 that night. That is the longest Hayden had been away from his mom and dad without being with other family members. We were a little nervous, but Hayden had a blast.

Black clothes, no shorts

I am an odd fellow. I freely admit that. I wear mostly black clothes and I never wear shorts. I talked about how my fashion sense came to be that way and related a humorous story about one of my walks around the local lake. I related the reaction of a teenage girl to my wearing black on a hot summer's day and how I responded.

Breast milk and tooth decay

Breast milk is great for babies. But there can be a problem with it IF the milk is allowed to pool in a sleeping baby's mouth. This happened to our son. Hayden breast fed until he was almost two years old and he would latch on to Mom's boob at night and fall asleep, allowing his teeth to soak in the milk. The sugars in the milk led to decay, which lead to several teeth being capped and others getting fillings.

There are other factors involved. Hayden's teeth probably didn't have very strong enamel, which made them vulnerable to decay. If you have a new baby at home, it's a very good idea to get him to a pediatric dentist as soon as that first tooth emerges.


A guest for next week's show?

Can this be possible? An actual guest on Dimland Radio? Yes, Virginia, I may have a guest on next week's show. His name is Todd Allen Gates and he is the author of 'Dialogue with a Christian Proselytizer'. He also has several videos on the YouTube where he addresses his skepticism of the Bible and other religious ideas. Oh! And he used to be a Christian himself.

If all goes well, we'll be recording our conversation later in the week for playback on Dimland Radio's 9/11 edition.

Here's a link to one of his YouTube videos.


Movie recommendation

I went with a comedy this week. The 2001 film 'Royal Tenenbaums' is an odd, quirky, off beat comedy that some may find challenging, but I love it. It is one of my all-time favorite movies. Comedies are very hard to recommend, because a sense of humor comes in many varieties. If you think 'Wild Hogs' is funny (and why would you?) then 'Royal Tenenbaums' may not be for you. But, who knows? Give it a shot.

Somehow when I talked about the outstanding cast, I neglected to mention the the often great Bill Murray was also in the film. Duh!

Put in your Netflix queue now.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Kiss Off' by The Violent Femmes & 'Super Trouper' by Abba
Second ad break bumpers: 'It's Obvious' by Au Pairs & 'Delirious' by Prince
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com You can also download my show from the Z Talk Show Archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment